[SOLVED] Subcultures

The Little Guy

I think I am going to do "Hacker".

So Here are 5 of my beliefs /perceptions, if you know any thing, please answer some/all of the following:

1. Hackers attack computers.

2. Hackers make only viruses.

3. Hackers have no social life.

4. Hackers get good computer related jobs to help protect software.

5. Hackers think they are better than everyone else because they know more about computers.

#1 is somewhat too general for me... "Hackers attack computers"...I'd try "Hackers attack computers for (fun/money/no reason at all/to prove they're the best/highlight security problems, blackmail people/etc...)"

Hackers are just a programmer

Hackers are immature. (bad programmer)

I can be too a hacker, because i have the complete CDs of Mastering cracking (Reverse Software Engineering CDs)...

But i remember it's easy to destruct than to construct.

So lets give respect to good hackers. (Like us).

Cheers...

I can be too a hacker, because i have the complete CDs of Mastering cracking (Reverse Software Engineering CDs)...

Cheers...

According to the given definition you are a hacker if you illegally intrude IT systems. This means a hacker likely is a programmer, but not "just" a programmer.

If we're talking perceptions of the group of people by others, then certainly all but 3 is true.

#1 is somewhat too general for me... "Hackers attack computers"...I'd try "Hackers attack computers for (fun/money/no reason at all/to prove they're the best/highlight security problems, blackmail people/etc...)"

Isn't your some-what extensive list justification for not specifying what they might do it for?

I didn't mean to imply, that all positions from this list should be taken into consideration. Choose one to get less general preconception.

On the other hand:

"Luddities attack computers"

so

Luddities <=> Hackers

?? ;)

The point is for it to be general.  You would then use specific examples to make up a paragraph. 

Cheers...

I hope you meant morally bad, because the majority of "real" hackers are very good programmers. To hack something is to make it work the way you want it to. Doesn't automatically mean haxoring teh krap outta sites lol!!!11

Cheers...

I hope you meant morally bad, because the majority of "real" hackers are very good programmers. To hack something is to make it work the way you want it to. Doesn't automatically mean haxoring teh krap outta sites lol!!!11

Uhm... not in this context. See:

I chose what the common public describe "Hacker" as, or those who don't know much about computers.

The common public does not know hackers as people who modify stuff or as programmers. If you tell someone who doesn't know much about computers that you are a hacker then it will immediately have negative connotations.

Even though the word originally meant something else that's not to say it cannot change meaning. When the majority of people define a word in a specific way then it must be valid.

Indeed you may be referred to as a hacker even though you're just a script kiddie who cannot actually program. The word has changed and the "old hackers" need to accept that.

Cheers...

Uhm... not in this context. See:

I chose what the common public describe "Hacker" as, or those who don't know much about computers.

The common public does not know hackers as people who modify stuff or as programmers. If you tell someone who doesn't know much about computers that you are a hacker then it will immediately have negative connotations.

Even though the word originally meant something else that's not to say it cannot change meaning. When the majority of people define a word in a specific way then it must be valid.

Indeed you may be referred to as a hacker even though you're just a script kiddie who cannot actually program. The word has changed and the "old hackers" need to accept that.

Agreed. A new name is needed. How about "Programmers who modify things and have a general interest in application security"? GIAS for short.

Hey GIAS, wuddup?

dunno...'white hat' and 'black hat' is not indigenous to the hacker community.  Those terms have already been established as 'good guy' / 'bad guy' terms.  The hacker community adopted it, not the other way around.  And on top of that, they adopted it a long time ago.  I think a lot of people will (do) indeed understand the difference.

Oh I don't.  There's plenty of people out there that will write it all off to their preconceived notions, no matter how you try to explain it to them.  I'm just pointing out that there is already an established means of differentiating the two that extends beyond the hacker culture.  And even if it hasn't been established at all, IMO it's a lot more intuitive than "GIAS"

I think I am going to do "Hacker".

So Here are 5 of my beliefs /perceptions, if you know any thing, please answer some/all of the following:

1. Hackers attack computers.

2. Hackers make only viruses.

3. Hackers have no social life.

4. Hackers get good computer related jobs to help protect software.

5. Hackers think they are better than everyone else because they know more about computers.

With the exception of number 4 what you have described is a "script kiddie". Also, the term hacker in that context is just plain wrong. To me hacking is the act of finding a way of accomplishing a goal that was not previously known. A real hacker doesn't do most of things commonly associated with the name. These includes security related intrusions and viruses. If they do participate in illegal security intrusions they are not hackers but are crackers.

If you are going to stick with the assumptions made above I would change "Hackers" to "Script Kiddies" and remove #4 from your list.

I think that's what the whole whitehat / blackhat is for.

Last time I tried installing Red Hat, its boot manager overwrote my partition table... Oh... wait a sec... these aren't linux distros, are they?

If you are going to stick with the assumptions made above I would change "Hackers" to "Script Kiddies" and remove #4 from your list.

Well... it's about misconceptions and general beliefs. We, the hackers, know that those are not true, but general public is a different thing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.