[SOLVED] Subcultures

The Little Guy

Guest The Feds

I don't think I'd call myself a hacker.  I'm more of a code dilettante.

'We, the hackers...' was a joke... just in case feds find this topic and arrest everyone. ;)

We've already dispatched a team to your house. ETA: 2 minutes.

And yet again being able to log into this unsecured 'linksys' wifi in the neighbourhood saves my... vital parts... Sorry neighbour... whoever you are.

That reminds me.  My mom called me the other day, freaking out.  Okay so she works at home.  She does data entry and some other stuff or whatever.  Company supplies her computer and internet connection.  Well a while back, she buys a laptop, and decides she wants to be able to use it.  So she also buys a wifi router.  She installs it herself.

So she was in the middle of working the other day, when her internet gets cut off.  So she calls up her ISP asking wtf.  They told her they cut her off because she downloaded an illegal copy of Fallout3.  Okay my mom is like 75.  She barely knows how to turn on a computer.  She knows how to use the programs she uses for work, and that's it.  I'm severely impressed she even managed to plug-and-play the router in to begin with.  She has no idea what Fallout3 is.  She has a vague idea what video games are in general. 

So the CS guy at her ISP decides to turn her connection back on if she removed her router, but in no uncertain terms told her that Bethesda, at their leisure, could wtfpwn her in court.  So she calls me up in hysterics, can't understand half of what she's saying from all the tears. 

The End. 

Hey I'm just saying, it's all fun and games until something happens to you.  Too many people have the mentality that it's not their fault they did something illegal, it's the other person's fault for not being protected.  That's like the schoolyard bully saying it's not his fault he punched the little kid, it's the little kid's fault for being so small and not being able to defend himself.  And then on top of that, you let him get in trouble for something you did. And again you say, it's not my fault the authorities are too stupid to catch me.  And they know deep down they are wrong.  That's why they constantly have to shift the blame onto others.  Too many people do this.  Too many.  Too many people do no think of the person across the country or down the street or even the guy next door as a real person just like them.  It's a sad, selfish world we live in. 

That depends on whether you choose the mainstream or the original definition of a hacker.

I thought the original hacker was a maker of small wooden things, like furniture?  Through carving and hacking? That's where the surname comes from, I'm pretty sure ;)

That depends on whether you choose the mainstream or the original definition of a hacker.

I thought the original hacker was a maker of small wooden things, like furniture?  Through carving and hacking? That's where the surname comes from, I'm pretty sure ;)

Right, but it's easily concluded that it's not the case here from statements 1 through 5.

Right, but it's easily concluded that it's not the case here from statements 1 through 5.

You gots teh trolled

I don't want you to think of me as of bully :) I think I only once hit someone who was weaker than me... and that was after he hit me in the face... Anyway we were friends before and reunited some time after that.

As to unprotected 'linksys' wifi in my neighbourhood I don't connect to it on daily basis. Sometimes, when my connection goes down I steal it... but well... I did everything I could to make the guy aware, he should do something with his router.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.