Mail Function

josh.php

So I have tried so many things to get PHP to send emails with the mail() function. Right now I am using some program called argosoft mail server. has a web interface for getting emails and everything. In my php.ini file, the smtp server is set to localhost, since the program acts as a smtp server. It uses the smtp port 25, and all i get when i go to the page i made to send a test email, is it keeps saying loading and never finishes. Ive tried using my ISP's smtp server, which is Comcast. I still get nothing, even when I use the send from address as my comcast email. Anybody have any insight, or just want to tell me the best way to get it to work. Ill do anything at this point!

Thank You!

So I have tried so many things to get PHP to send emails with the mail() function. Right now I am using some program called argosoft mail server. has a web interface for getting emails and everything. In my php.ini file, the smtp server is set to localhost, since the program acts as a smtp server. It uses the smtp port 25, and all i get when i go to the page i made to send a test email, is it keeps saying loading and never finishes. Ive tried using my ISP's smtp server, which is Comcast. I still get nothing, even when I use the send from address as my comcast email. Anybody have any insight, or just want to tell me the best way to get it to work. Ill do anything at this point!

Thank You!

I know that Comcast, non-business blocks port 25. That very well may be the problem. Your only option is to switch or upgrade to the business line of comcast.

windows server 2003 with PHP Version 5.2.6 and the code is:

<?php

// ---------------- SEND MAIL FORM ----------------

// send e-mail to ...

$to="josh@localhost";

// Your subject

$subject="Test";

// From

$header="from: your name <your email>";

// Your message

$message="Hello \r\n";

$message.="This is test\r\n";

$message.="Test again ";

// send email

$sentmail = mail($to,$subject,$message,$header);

// if your email succesfully sent

if($sentmail){

echo "Email Has Been Sent .";

}

else {

echo "Cannot Send Email ";

}

?>

i still get this issue. go to joshphp.com

the site works fine

go to joshphp.com/mail.php

it sits there and says waiting. i told php.ini to use smtp.comcast.net with port 587 as that article said and the from email is my comcast email. still same issue? any ideas?

You would have to forward it for your router too (if you have one). And also make sure there is exception in any software firewall, like windows firewall for that port.

As for if that port really works, I have no clue and I do not think he was using comcast's smtp I think he was using his own server on his own computer and just had to use that port for that server.

There's no need to direct 587 from outside back to your server, just 587 going out.  php should be configured for smtp.comcast.net port 587, as in the documentation here: http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq/FaqDetails.ashx?ID=4240&fss=smtp

If that doesn't work, then I would next try to find if the connection is actually getting through any pc and router firewalls you may have.  That's difficult to test without some networking knowledge though.

Oops, I didn't notice that .. I'm pretty sure php's built in mail doesn't do smtp auth.  But the pear package does:

http://pear.php.net/package/Mail

There's also an smtp package if you want more control (but I'm guessing you just want to get it working).  Here's that one:

http://pear.php.net/package/Net_SMTP/docs/1.3.1/Net_SMTP/Net_SMTP.html

im having some difficulty running with the pear module now.i get this message

PHP has encountered a Stack overflow

the code for the page is:

<?php

include('Mail.php');

$recipients = 'josh.php@gmail.com';

$headers['From']    = 'richard@example.com';

$headers['To']      = 'joe@example.com';

$headers['Subject'] = 'Test message';

$body = 'Test message';

$params['sendmail_path'] = '/usr/lib/sendmail';

// Create the mail object using the Mail::factory method

$mail_object =& Mail::factory('sendmail', $params);

$mail_object->send($recipients, $headers, $body);

?>

i ran go-pear.bat and it installed everthing. i dont know if i copied the mail folder to the right spot though. as of now it is in C:/php/pear/pear/mail/...

You're running on windows right?  I think you'll need the smtp mail object.  Sendmail is a unix thing.  Give it the hostname and port from comcast, as well as the auth information, and it ought to work.

From the constructor method here it looks like you can give all of the auth data in the constructor itself.  Oddly formatted documentation there, but it looks like it wants an array like you are passing to the mail factory in your latest post.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.