Is there any reason why my php includes won't read my variables?

mattphilips

When you include a file, you are specifying that path to that file.

So if 'include.php' is in the same directory as 'index.php':

include 'include.php';

If 'include.php' is in a directory called 'roflcopters', then:

include 'roflcopters/include.php';

I am doing the full path.

include('http://www.domain.com/files/includes/include.php');

What I just noticed after I posted this is that it includes the file either way. But ther variables only seem to carry over if the include is in the same or a sub directory of the index file.

For example:

With the include file in the same directory as the index file:

echo 'test: ' . $x;

returns: "test: 123"

If the include file is outside the directory of the index the same code returns:

"test: "

I don't think that is correct behavior.  Including a file, no matter where it is, should bring all variables in that file into scope. 

This, however:

include('http://www.domain.com/files/includes/include.php');

Is not exactly best practice.  If the files are on the same server, there is no need to specify the path to the include file with a url.

mattphilips ,

Also, the home (dir) of any file you want to include must be specified in the php.ini  " include_path " directive.

I suspect that if you coded error_reporting['E_ALL'];  at the beginning of your script, it will tell you that the file can't be found.

My ini include_path statement looks like this :

include_path=".:/usr/local/Zend/Core/share/pear:/usr/local/Zend/www/dev:/usr/local/Zend/www/dev/include:/usr/local/Zend/www/dev/font:/usr/local/Zend/www/dev/include/lang:/usr/local/Zend/www/dev/classes:/usr/local/Zend/www/dev/javascript:/usr/local/Zend/www/dev/library:/usr/local/Zend/www/dev/WebSVN:/usr/local/Zend/www/dev/WebSVN/languages:/usr/local/Zend/www/dev/smarty:/usr/local/Zend/www/dev/smarty/libs:/usr/local/Zend/www/dev/smarty/templates:/usr/local/Zend/www/dev/smarty/template_c:"

Scot L. Diddle, Richmond VA

using the path ../include.php worked.

However that only works for some of my files that I want to use the same include with.

Also... Putting the

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
?>

Didn't return any errors. It either works as intended or it includes the files but the variables are not set.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.