Extending PHP session timeout

Prodigal Son

ini_set("session.gc_maxlifetime", 3600);

This assumes you are allowed to use ini_set. and the $timeout you were setting it to I do not think was accurate.

To check use ini_get and see.

Used ini_get and it printed out 3600. But the session still doesn't last an hour.

I would define that in the .htaccess file instead of ini_set to be honest.

Hmm, I noticed something weird happening. After I use ini_set to change the session timeout, it makes the timeouts random it seems. For example, before when I had my default session timeout at 24 minutes, everytime the session would expire at that time. But now it can expire at random times, sometimes it can last up to half an hour or so, sometimes the session dies in even 1-2 minutes. I have googled this and found someone had the same problem, but never got an answer.

I tested with almost a blank page to make sure it wasn't some other code interfering, but the same still happens. Anyone have a similar experience?

Are you on shared hosting or a dedicated server?

Shared. Could that be the problem?

Very well. Shared hosting is very unsecure and chances are you do not have alot of permissions on it. Thus you cannot set your own timeouts cause you cannot access the php.ini and probably cannot use the ini_set feature either. I bet the .htaccess version is also blocked for "Security" reasons by your host.

Glad I have a dedicated server =)

When the session data files are stored in the default folder, the shortest session.gc_maxlifetime setting of all the scripts running on that server is what wins. Someone probably has set it to a short value in order to cause sessions to end to log someone out instead of correctly coding their application to handle the log out in the application.

You should set the session.save_path to be to a private folder that is within your account's folder tree. The best place for a folder to hold the session data files is in a folder that is outside of your document root folder (closer to the root of the disk). If you are not able to create a folder at that point in the folder tree, you will need to create a folder inside your document root folder and you will need to add a .htaccess file in it to prevent access to all http requests so that someone that guesses the folder name cannot attempt to access the session data files.

PFMaBiSmAd be nice if u gave a full description on ur findings for us all.

I do understand your explanation but a written example be nice for me to print out for reference.

Thank u for pointing out this cheers m8.

Only if u got time once agin thank you nice info.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.