A general help with PHP/MYSQL/ Something else?

cs.punk

Ok here the story begins once again...

LONG LONG ago I tried reading throught PHP and MYSQL for dummies (I did have a lil knowlage of HTML)... But I got stuck at the first example... (which I have attached)... Whats going on there? It's a MISTAKE in a book like THAT?

I see that they use a differentkind of " " " mine are straight while theres are upside commas lol...

Now for my general questions....

1. Build your own shopping cart? How on earth is that possible? You cant make your own? You could make it charge 10x the amount specified or something?

2. I was reading about mysql querys etc... There is a way to make a form which will then go to PHP coding and into a MYSQL query to add something to a database right?

3. I was readinbg HTML for Dummies 5th edition, and they talked about FoRms... Hows that possible with HTML? It's a static webpage?...

4. When I made a forum and used SMF I supplied my email address to use as admin.. Now when I send a message to all members via my forum it shows it's sent from MY GMAIL address... Uhm how does it know it's MINE? I could write someones else's email in there lol.....

Thats it.... Please, please and please help me.... I am new here too... And uhm I am a Dummie  :) :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

1. Um indeed you could make your own shopping cart with php. Many shopping carts are made with php.

2. Correct.

3. Forms simply make a request to a server and pass information with that request.

4. It doesn't, but there wouldn't be much point providing a fake address now would there?

But one would need somesort of license?... I mean it IS going throught to a bank's (server?) after all?...

Whats the point in providing a fake email? Uhm no point but you could like send a email from somebody's email address without needing to know anything about it?... That means email is way way un-secure! Somebody could use my email address to send something to someone and that someone will think it's me! :(...

Anyone figured out that examply.php file?

And lastly, I don' see allot that can be done with php to (is design a good word?) your website, I find HTML quite uhm 'weak?'...

PHP is not meant to 'design' anything but images and some flash/actionscript..

its more so a data handling language, where it recieves/sends data, manipulates it, and bridges it over to a database or to an email or to a text file.. or where/what ever you decided to make the system do with your data..

php is completely SERVER SIDE, meaning, it just sends HTML and other clientside languages such as css and javascript to the CLIENT (browser) to be handled by the CLIENT (browser) the SERVER SIDE scripts never get touched or seen by the user..

if that makes any sence

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.