[SOLVED] recent activity table

jonniejoejonson

Facebook is huge.  Their databases are mirrored, and so the "most recent activity" is not always the most recent.

To say you should JOIN all your tables really depends on your structure.  Do you have multiple tables that have their own events?  Or do you have one common table where events are published?

If you had the first design, then you would probably have to do something like what was said above.. but if you had the latter, you would only select the 10 most recent events..

So, it depends on your design.

i have for example an images table. a videos table. a friends table etc...

each table has a user_id and a date fields.

therefore i could just inner join all the tables along userId and then select the 10 most recent activities for a user.

However facebook have the option to delete any recent activities, therefore this would require all my tables have a field that states whetehr a user has choosen to delete this from there recentacitivites.

therefore i would assume that facebook would have an entire table dedicated to recent activities.. i may well be wrong.. what do you think?... thanks J.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.