[SOLVED] OOP Question

black.horizons

Hey guys - i've been using PHP for 3 years - now i'm working on a website and I want to develop it in OOP - I've written a fully blown - and pretty advanced CMS in suquential code.

I've got my head round writing PHP in OOP but on my site I've a couple of areas that I don't think needs OOP'd(?) - such as selecting lists of information. For these areas how would I write the code - as putting lists for navigation in as objects I think is overkill.

Any and all ideas taken on board!

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest thinking of your code and what it actually does, then split it down to different classes and functions....

eg in a cart project you would have;

A Product Class would contains methods to deal with naming and pricing.

extending the Product class to do deal Books, DVD's or Clothing. each putting forth their own methods, with parent class Products....

I would also suggest starting with the directory layout, and then coding the essential/core pieces of your project like the db connections, file handling...ect....im currently working on a project of my own....converting an existing procedural coded site to OOP... :-)

I would also suggest using a MVC framework and then deal with elements of your site on a case by case base.  Anything i build uses a custom MVC framework i have built which has a very small overhead for loading controllers and views.  The model portion of my framework(usually some sort of ORM system that connects to a database) is the real bottle neck of the system(and should be for most MVC Frameworks) so there are case when i will use straight queries instead of the models.  The most common example of something that might be in a database and i would not use a model for is navigation since most navigation is on multiple pages.  Most other things i would only usually need a few dozen models(and if not it would be paginated data.

• 5 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.