[SOLVED] Disallow HTML Tags In Form Mailer

_house

hi,

first off: kudos to this site for using such an easy registration process...

my problem:

i am using hiq formmail ( http://php.resourceindex.com/detail/04460.html ) and am experiencing heavy spam problems.

since blogging their ip in cpanel does not solve anything (they simply use another proxy), i was thinking of disallowing html tags in the form mailer.

the spammers are the only ones who use them, after all...

only thing is, i have absolutely no idea how to do that.

could somebody please help me?

cheers,

house

oh and happy holidays/christmas ;)

CAPTCHA, or a variation of such a security feature is by far (apart from hiring the mafia to protect your website) the easiest way to secure your forms.

I had a comment form that was being spammed hundreds of times with no CAPTCHA, I at first simply had a piece of text saying insert the number: 2269 in the box below and all my spam stopped! Even though the number never changed, and the number was readable to a bot.

With that in mind, if hiq (? whatever that is) doesn't implement a captcha system, do it yourself, use someone elses (google recaptcha) or change to a better service.

CAPTCHA, or a variation of such a security feature is by far (apart from hiring the mafia to protect your website) the easiest way to secure your forms.

I had a comment form that was being spammed hundreds of times with no CAPTCHA, I at first simply had a piece of text saying insert the number: 2269 in the box below and all my spam stopped! Even though the number never changed, and the number was readable to a bot.

With that in mind, if hiq (? whatever that is) doesn't implement a captcha system, do it yourself, use someone elses (google recaptcha) or change to a better service.

already tried that, but this form is afaik the best if it comes to file attachments. and this feature i need...

how would one add your "pseudo captcha" into the contact form?

<p>Type the following number into the text box: 2485<br />
<input type='text' name='captcha' /></p>

Then you will need some PHP (or maybe some javascript)...

if($_POST['captcha']==2485) {
    echo("Horray!");
}

Happy Xmas!

ILMV

btw, just in case anyone reading this in the future uses hiq formmail as well:

insert

// Simple spam filter
if($_POST['captcha']!=foo) {
    $errorlist .= "<BR>Apparently you aren't human...<BR>";
}

somewhere in HiQFM.php.

"foo" being the number you've previously defined in your form...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.