[SOLVED] Confirm e-mail exists on user registration

webref.eu

what you could do.. is just on register.. put into the database table..

md5(rand(0,55)."{$password}{$username}");

then mail that string to the user in a GET variable in the url like

http://site.com/auth.php?authcode=76298389a98nc9001208723

then when they click it

have a field in the database

`authenticated`

then update the row which authcode equals the authcode specified

UPDATE `members` SET `authenticated`='TRUE' WHERE `authcode` = '{$_GET['authcode']}'

User interaction is the most definite to checking whether an email exists and is valid.  But some other things you could do...

1) Use regex to check if it's a valid format.

2) Read this article.  I haven't tried it but it looks like it contains code to see if the user has a valid email address.

User interaction is the most definite to checking whether an email exists and is valid.  But some other things you could do...

2) Read this article.  I haven't tried it but it looks like it contains code to see if the user has a valid email address.

The method presented in the article is shaky at best, in that a lot of bogus registrations are still going to pass on through.  I find it a bit humorous that two of the three bogus emails he mentions, donald@duck.com and emailthis@hahaha.com, would pass the test he wrote.  So 33% of the time, it works every time. ;)

The method presented in the article is shaky at best, in that a lot of bogus registrations are still going to pass on through.  I find it a bit humorous that two of the three bogus emails he mentions, donald@duck.com and emailthis@hahaha.com, would pass the test he wrote.  So 33% of the time, it works every time. ;)

I was a bit lazy with the link as a mentioned I have not tried it.  It came up top 10 on Google so I thought it may be good.  It was primarily supposed to give you more so an idea rather than a solution but w/e.  I do strongly suggest that you use multiple techniques to filter out the most emails, there's almost always going to be a couple that squeeze by but there's nothing you can really do.

As bluesoul said:

So 33% of the time, it works every time. ;)

Words from a statistical genius ;D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.