A fun little project of mine

jeremyapp

Hey everyone,

I've had my hands on a great database of around 18,000 famous quotes for some time now so I thought it to be about time I did something with it.  There are plenty of quotes websites out there, so I thought I'd mix it up a little bit.  With that, QuoteStumbler was created.  Let me know what you all think!

http://www.quotestumbler.com

I should have clarified - the page doesn't just show a random quote.  When it presents a quote, it highlights each word in that quote if another quote starting with that word exists in the database.  Clicking on that highlighted word will take you to a random quote in the database starting with that word.

You could simply refresh the page to get a brand new quote, but the point of the site is to discover new quotes by clicking on key words.

• 3 weeks later...

One word: Wow. In design terms, there's nothing to say other than that. It's simply, but not to the point where it doesn't look good. The only thing I can even come up with in terms of design is possibly changing the grey on the bottom to something else... maybe lighter... or darker... not really sure. It looks a bit odd, but I still love it regardless.

As for the programming behind it, consider disabling the linking of words like 'in', 'to', 'of', 'the', etc. Try to stick to nouns and verbs only. This could be accomplished by either allowing certain words (recommend against this) or disabling words (much smaller list, ergo recommended).

In terms of popularity, you will probably gain and lose it quickly unless you do something to keep it. Make it possible for other users to use the quotes - either quote of the day (using something other than twitter), week, or just a random one (I'd suggest quote of the day - can be automatic with a cron job). Best of luck to you!

P.S. - Add a clickable logo to your homepage in the top somewhere (left, right, center - you decide)... sometimes people like to get a completely random one... without having to move the mouse or hit F5 constantly ;) And search engines will be a bit more friendly :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.