Managing Email

tibberous

At work we have over 500 sites, and most have email addresses. We run Plesk 8 which uses qmail and spam assassin, but we still get a ton of spam. Even blatantly obvious spam, like there the sender uses fake headers to match the recipients name gets through. Any idea how I can combat this? Is there a better way to handle email hosting for a large amount of people? Should email be moved to its own server?

I've found that the best protection from spam is to never get it in the first place.

One of my email addresses was posted on a web site for a year or so, and I get about 20 spam messages a day on it.  (I'm not even exaggerating.)  But, my other few email addresses get maybe 1 spam message a year.  So, ever since then, I've been very careful to not have my email anywhere in bot-readable form.

But, with 500 sites, that could be a bit of a problem.  You could always adjust spam filters.  Maybe Spam Assassin has some built in header spoof detector.

As for the better way to handle email for a large amount of people part....  Can the server handle it?  If the server can handle it fine and has a little room to grow, I wouldn't worry about moving servers.  In the case that it eventually starts to get stressed, I don't know if I would move the email stuff to a bunch of different servers (the servers that each web server was on), or if I would have a dedicated email server.  I guess a dedicated email server would be easier to manage.

One of my email addresses was posted on a web site for a year or so, and I get about 20 spam messages a day on it.  (I'm not even exaggerating.)

I wish I only got 20 a day. My gmail account gets several hundred a day and sometimes upwards of 1k.

One of my email addresses was posted on a web site for a year or so, and I get about 20 spam messages a day on it.  (I'm not even exaggerating.)

I wish I only got 20 a day. My gmail account gets several hundred a day and sometimes upwards of 1k.

Mine gets quite a lot too. However, i find gmail's spam filtering pretty damn good so it's not really a problem.

Based on the fact that I never touch the spam folder and that Gmail removes messages that are over 30 days old, I've had 898 on my @gmail.com and 47 on my @phpfreaks.com the last 30 days. Strangely, it seems that a lot of the spam mails I get on my @phpfreaks.com are specifically addressed at both me and thorpe at the same time... There is a contact email on phpfreaks.com, which just forwards to all admins, and it gets spam as well even though I actually never told anyone about it. I guess that 'contact' is just a very generic email that's likely to exist.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.