Beta test forum suggestion

Everytime I look through that forum, it feels like navigating a mine field. I'm never quite sure what to expect, as threads get locked, or other members keep posting the rules thread link for the OP in question to read. Many times, the OP is perhaps either unaware of the rules (not the fault of PHP Freaks, of course), or they are not quite sure what the rules mean...

I'm reading the rules and come across:

"You are only allowed to request testing of your own website or websites you are otherwise authorized to manage. In order to verify this you must place a file with a link to your profile here on PHP Freaks."

By file, am I correct to assume it as 'source code'? Perhaps some users may feel uncomfortable with posting code?

Could another alternative be to simply embed some specific commented out line say within the head tag in the site in question (afterall, as the webmaster, you would have the ability to do so)?

example:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>My site</title>
<!-- PHPFreaks Beta test -->
</head>

On a final thought, (and I'm not sure if Admins can integrate this or not), but perhaps embedding the key issues of forum rule posting above the posting message window? Red bold font, so that everytime someone posts within the Beta testing forum, they will see this message when typing out a post? Just seems to be a higher 'failure' rate of posting violations in this forum. Leads me to wonder if a change in forum rule wording and rule exposure would help out?

I'm reading the rules and come across:

"You are only allowed to request testing of your own website or websites you are otherwise authorized to manage. In order to verify this you must place a file with a link to your profile here on PHP Freaks."

By file, am I correct to assume it as 'source code'? Perhaps some users may feel uncomfortable with posting code?

I really don't follow what you mean. What's the difference between making a page with a link to your profile and adding in a comment to some other page?

And on a side note, i thought all the topics in that forum were being checked by moderators prior to them being displayed?

I really don't follow what you mean. What's the difference between making a page with a link to your profile and adding in a comment to some other page?

OK, then that's what the explanation must mean.. (which in turn makes sense now..)

And on a side note, i thought all the topics in that forum were being checked by moderators prior to them being displayed?

Well, I would assume not if you see threads getting locked up that contain posts already (aside from the OP's of course). This example has 5 posts prior to lockdown (none by mods nor admins)..

I locked that one because it was bumped. We're not going to apply the new rule on all old threads (read: not going to lock all old threads waiting for verification), but as far as I'm concerned, when an old thread becomes active again, the new rule applies.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.