What is the point?

jmsst44

School at lower levels is intended for giving you a general knowledge about a broad range of subjects. You cannot start out with high-intensity university courses that specializes on very particular areas for small children. This specialization can only come later when you've got a general understanding about many things and when you've learned to learn, so to speak.

I have been in college for 9 years and will graduate with my Masters Degree in May 2009. So I have the basic knowledge that is necessary to do these things. However, I have learned that most knowledge comes from hands-on-experience. My school offers very little of that! It is a big problem!

I have been in college for 9 years and will graduate with my Masters Degree in May 2009. So I have the basic knowledge that is necessary to do these things. However, I have learned that most knowledge comes from hands-on-experience. My school offers very little of that! It is a big problem!

Universities don't seem to prepare you for anything very practical, it is more or less the fundamentals that you need to advance further on your own through experience and some trial and error.  I did learn a lot in college, but as you said, not very much is practical for the job world.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.