Connecting to a remote database !!

secret007

Hi everyone.

I m working on the project "Online Database Server" something like phpmyadmin,

I want to provide a web service in php i.e anyone can connect his/her desktop application to my online database how can it will be achieved in php.

thanks for the help in advance..

You say you want people to be able to connect there desktop applications to your database. This has nothing at all to do with php.

You need to give permissions (in mysql) for remote hosts to connect. There are examples in the manual.

Ya u all got my point thanks for the info but i m not professional plz give me the links of tutorials and some useful places from where i could learn these type of professional services ....

I want that anyone make their app say in dot net framework (front end) and for the database purpose he/she use my online database server login into that and create database tables and then every time from front end enter th info and will be connected to online database tables databases are shown just like localhost,........

I think it will be clear hopefully ....

thanks in advance..

From what I gather you want a database manager type vb client, now, I'm sure VB can connect to a mysql database, I could of swore I've seen an example somewhere.. If you don't know mysql OR vb, then you've probably got a long while before you could complete this goal..

I humbly suggest you search on google "Connecting to mySQL through VB" or something similar to that..

You also need to make sure your database allows remote connections.. like someone stated above you should find out how at http://www.mysql.com

google is your friend :)

Your question still doesn't sound like your using php at all. If your users are creating desktop applications this has nothing to do with php. All you need do is grant remote access to your mysql server. eg;

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON dbname TO 'foo'@'remotehost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password' WITH GRANT OPTION;

Your question still doesn't sound like your using php at all. If your users are creating desktop applications this has nothing to do with php. All you need do is grant remote access to your mysql server. eg;

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON dbname TO 'foo'@'remotehost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password' WITH GRANT OPTION;

Bro i m asking that anyone can connect his/her desktop app to my online database build in php, only i just want to provide this service to my customers, and when they r logged in to online database from their desktop app the database, tables are displayed in front of them like a localhost view.

i think u got wat i m talking about.

I m crazy to tell u about more info bcoz it's a part of my project , if u still cant got my problem..

thanks in advance..

Bro i m asking that anyone can connect his/her desktop app to my online database build in php

Databases aren't built in php. You can (and likely have) build php applications that provide a frontend to a database but that isn't what your original post described.

What desktop apps are your customers connecting via? We really need more details about exactly what it is your trying to do.

Actually, reading your original post it probably is more like what youve described, I guess I just misread the question. Sorry.

Still however, we need to know what kind of applications your users are planning on connecting from. Are these costomised applications? Your users would pretty much need to build a web browser into there applications to do what your describe. Either that or you just expose an xml document and let them parse it into tables within there application.

OK i m telling u again .. i m developing an "ONLINE DATABASE SERVER" like phpmyadmin it is a wizard like interface customer can login than create database create tables and make users and grant them access this will all done online as u see the project title...

Than coming to point my supervisor told me that u project (ONLINE DATABASE SERVER) should have the functionality that anyone can connect their desktop application to ur online database that they created earlier .. i think it is simple to understand...

And i don't know about the customer desktop applications ... probably i want any app connected to my online database .. but if there are limitations that customers only connect these type of desktop applications built in that language .. let me know plz.. i will mention this in my project features..

but plz help ASAP as the final date is probably in the beginning of the coming month.

thank u....

Actually, reading your original post it probably is more like what youve described, I guess I just misread the question. Sorry.

Still however, we need to know what kind of applications your users are planning on connecting from. Are these costomised applications? Your users would pretty much need to build a web browser into there applications to do what your describe. Either that or you just expose an xml document and let them parse it into tables within there application.

these are any kind of apps that require database for that purpose they will login to my website create database and so on that i have mentioned above...

plz post some tutorials so that i can easily understand and complete my task as soon as possible. thanks..

Than coming to point my supervisor told me that u project (ONLINE DATABASE SERVER) should have the functionality that anyone can connect their desktop application to ur online database that they created earlier .. i think it is simple to understand...

Yes it is simple to understand. Mysql already has this functionality.

If you don't know how to set this up I would strongly suggest you tell your supervisor that you don't have the ability to do fulfill your job description.

Yes it is simple to understand. Mysql already has this functionality.

If you don't know how to set this up I would strongly suggest you tell your supervisor that you don't have the ability to do fulfill your job description.

ok..

but also plz tell me about that functionality...

you want a desktop application to connect to your php mysql panel type thingy..

if it is ALREADY configured in your php.. and it completely works with your php

then all you need to do is show what the php shows..

so make your vb app or whatever, connect directly to your php (with a web browser ofcourse) and then you have a desktop app.. in like 2 minutesa

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.