[SOLVED] php.ini What needs to be changed?

Boo-urns

I just moved my form to a new server when i was working locally with MAMP. Now the form fields are displaying the php code that I am outputting in the field.

For example:

<input type="text" name="email" id="email" value="<?= displayFormVal($email); ?>" />

In the form it's displaying: <? echo displayFormVal($email); ?> in the input.

What needs to be changed in the configuration?

Thanks!

-Corey

I would change:

<input type="text" name="email" id="email" value="<?= displayFormVal($email); ?>" />

to:

<input type="text" name="email" id="email" value="<?php echo displayFormVal($email); ?>" />

<?= is PHP Shorthand and not all servers are set up for this. I am not sure how to set up your configuration to accept this but the above should work

To use short tags you must set short_open_tag to On. It's better to fix the code in the way dennismonsewicz said though.

Edit: On Linux you can write a small shell script like this to do it quickly:

#!/bin/sh
grep -rl <\?= /path/to/script/root | while read filename do {
sed "s/<\?=/<?php echo/g;" $filename > $filename.new
mv -f $filename.new $filename
rm -f $filename.new
}
done

I didn't test it and you might want to backup your files first. Don't mind that the syntax highlighting is messed up though.

To use short tags you must set short_open_tag to On. It's better to fix the code in the way dennismonsewicz said though.

Thanks! I was wondering how one goes about setting that up. I have used either way and as a good practice, imo, I got out of doing it cause I quickly found out that not all servers are setup for this config.

Yea i agree it is a better bet to just echo it out instead of the short tag.

I do have access to the php.ini file so i changed the short_open_tag to on.

However, before that I did try just to do the echo which was my first guess as well as many here but, it still outputted it in the field. When i changed the .ini file short_open_tag line it worked just fine.

So even if I used just regular echo output, why would it show up in the field? i.e.<?php echo $someVar; ?>

Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

-Corey

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.