unimportant!!! I need help with the code

thecode

Hello,

I am applying for a job and the employer requires me to write a test code before he considers my application. I am an amateur PHP programmer. I have been working with PHP for a couple years to build some simple web sites for my personal use. Most of the PHP codes I wrote were PHP 4 with MySql 4. I think the test will be written in PHP 5 and MySql 5.

The test is given today through email at 1pm PST and must be completed by 8am PST tomorrow. I don't know how difficult it is. I will do the test myself but I may need some advice from the gurus if I get stuck somewhere along the way. I don't mean to ask you do the test for me, just give me some advice when I need it. I will post some questions today under this topic should I have any, and if you have some free time please bookmark this topic and check in regularly to help.

I need this job to support my family. If anyone have some free time to help this poor man I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I know, I know. If I asked you to do the test for me it would not be fair. But if I get most of it and just some details I am stuck on it, wouldn't it be ok to ask? Just like when you receive a project at work and you ask for help on some details. Even the masters need help here and there. I am not a master.  :-\

No, can a mod lock or delete this thread and any he starts which are similar.

You are asking if we will help you get a job which you can't do.

Why do you want to deceive your employer like that, think about your actions and don't ask us to help you in your deception.

I don't agree. If the test indeed is being sent to him via email, and it is to be done at home, we may assume that the employer also wants to check, if the potential emplyee knows how to look for information if needed. If it was a test just to test his PHP coding skills, it would be done in controlled environment.

Yes but he would want the person to be able to know PHP and not need to ask for help, i suppose time will tell when we see what he wants help on.

You are asking if we will help you get a job which you can't do.

Why do you want to deceive your employer like that, think about your actions and don't ask us to help you in your deception.

I don't agree. If the test indeed is being sent to him via email, and it is to be done at home, we may assume that the employer also wants to check, if the potential emplyee knows how to look for information if needed. If it was a test just to test his PHP coding skills, it would be done in controlled environment.

I agree with mchl, but I dont think best practise is to ask for the answers, if he were to figure out 95% of the problem and one small part eluded him/herself then being a home test seeking help is more than justified, why else would i sit here and try and help others.

There is a fine line between asking for help and being given a handout!!!

Yes but he would want the person to be able to know PHP and not need to ask for help, i suppose time will tell when we see what he wants help on.

Even most experienced people from time to time come across a problem they cannot solve alone. I agree though, that we should decide once OP posts any questions (let's hope he doesn't, as this will be a sign that he's doing well and we will not have to challenge our morals :P )

Oh no, please don't do it, you'll kill me.  :'(

This job offers 80K salary. I cannot pass it.

I'll pay half of my first month salary to whoever willing to help (in cash if you prefer to avoid taxes). Any one interested let me know.

:)

Even most experienced people from time to time come across a problem they cannot solve alone. I agree though, that we should decide once OP posts any questions (let's hope he doesn't, as this will be a sign that he's doing well and we will not have to challenge our morals :P )

Sorry :s i wrote that wrong, i meant that he should have a fairly good knowledge of PHP and that he shouldn't be asking us to help with simple stuff, but again we won't find out until he posts a question.

EDIT: ok that proved it,

Oh no, please don't do it, you'll kill me.  :'(

This job offers 80K salary. I cannot pass it.

I'll pay half of my first month salary to whoever willing to help (in cash if you prefer to avoid taxes). Any one interested let me know.

If you don't know how to do the job don't apply for it, why are you so desperate for us to help you cheat, we can provide links to sites that teach you php.

If you can't pass the test then tell them

dude for an 80k salary if you cant figure your own scripting they will within a few weeks, so check the test before or else fails or deposit the money in my account before i do any work, but i think they'll notice a difference in coding level and CONFIDENCE.

at the end of the day you'll be only cheating yourself.

You guys are incredibly ignorant. You do realize that most programmers don't know everything, and need to get help from sites like these. If he can write code successfully with help from this site, why should it matter? You'd be surprised how many programmers who post on here are posting from their work, myself included. Everyone does it, why ignore a perfectly accessible resource?

Hey folks, just poke in to let you know I'm doing OK here. It's not as bad as I thought. The code is mostly time and date functions, with some loops. No MySql involve (that's a great relief).

No the job does not offers 80K, I was joking. It's actually a little less than that but it's still very competitive.

If I got this job, it's my first ever "real" programming job. I did not graduate from any programming school, I learned all the codes by myself (I couldn't afford to go to college). Being a programmer is my dream.

But hang on. I may have a few questions at the end, may late night or early morning.

No, but they know enough to not to come posting on a forum that they "may need help on a test" and for us to "stand by and help".

Come on...

You guys are incredibly ignorant. You do realize that most programmers don't know everything, and need to get help from sites like these. If he can write code successfully with help from this site, why should it matter? You'd be surprised how many programmers who post on here are posting from their work, myself included. Everyone does it, why ignore a perfectly accessible resource?

No, but they know enough to not to come posting on a forum that they "may need help on a test" and for us to "stand by and help".

Yeah... that's a bit weird... It's like:

Hello there. Just arrived at my workplace and starting another dull day here. Stand by, cause I might have some questions

repeat every day at 8.a.m local time...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.