[SOLVED] Primary ID field still continuing despite row deletion

Someone789

Hi,

I'm having an issue with the numeric ordering of my 'id' field in a table after I deleted a row. Basically, I need the primary key 'id' field in my table to reflect the actual number of rows in my table, even after a row is deleted.

For example, I have a table like this in my database:

id | color

1  | blue

2  | red

3  | green

4  | yellow

I no longer wanted "yellow" to be in there, so I dropped the entire 4th row. I then needed to insert "purple" and did so, but it came out like this:

id | color

1  | blue

2  | red

3  | green

5  | purple

While what I wanted was this:

id | color

1  | blue

2  | red

3  | green

4  | purple

How can I make it so that new insertions don't skip over the number of the row that was previously dropped?

The "id" field was first created using these properties if that helps: INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, PRIMARY KEY(id)

Many thanks in advance! :)

To elaborate on fenway's post, you shouldn't reuse a primary ID.  What if you have data depending on it or something?

Thanks for reading between the lines.

I just get tired of having to deal with some of mysql's more annoying features -- like leaving off ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY in the sql mode, allowing resetting of the auto-increment counter without truncate, etc.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.