Desktop development solutions

phparray

I’ve been thinking about ways to upgrade my desktop to stream line my development projects.

The goal is to get the most out of my hardware - Core 2 Quad 775 intell proc. 4 gb of ram Asus board. One 500 GB SATA drive.

The ability to test on different browsers and different OS combinations.

Central server installation running a LAMP stack available all virtual machines.

I’m thinking about installing CentOs 64 bit and using some visualization product to install Windows and partition the drive into core os and VMs. I’d use the core partition to run the server and at least one XP VM for testing on a Windows environment. The problem I’m having is what to do about all the Windows Applications I use now. I currently using CS3 a lot and I’m afraid these programs will slow down tremendously on a virtual machine. If that happens I’ll get extremely frustrated trying to work on a slow box.

I wonder how performance loss there is between a Native XP install on 2gbs of ram and a Virtual XP install on 2gbs of ram.

My other thought was to buy Vista 64. The cost is substantial but It should come with Hyper-V and allow me to run Linux VM while keeping the Desktop Applications on the core OS.

I'd appreciate any comments on my ideas and suggestions on what others are using.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.