Attn: Tech Support People

Zane

Ok, first off...yes....I'm straight up asking for homework help.  But don't fret, it is nothing more than an interview.  I am supposed to go find local business or check out my school's IT department or whatever.  Either way, I'm supposed to hunt down a Tech Support person and interview them.  Unfortunately, I'm snowed in, my car's out of gas and my license is revoked so I figured I'd get better responses out of the forums anyway.  So..on with it.

Ok, verbatim from the book it says

Interview a technical support person.  Locate a technical support person at your school, your work, or a local company.  Find out the following information:

1. Does the person support internal or external users?

2. With what resources does the person work (i.e, hardware, software, peripherals, networks, information)?

3. What type of applications do end users work with most frequently in their jobs?

4. Do any users or applications present difficult problems for him or her as a technical support person?

5.Does the organization have a policy on software piracy, invasion of privacy, or virus protection?

I feel like I've committed a sin by asking for homework help, but this is honestly something I can't do on my own, as you can see.  I feel as though I'm a tech support person myself being a part of the forums and all, but I don't think that counts and I really doubt I would be allowed to write about myself.

So if you're a "tech support person", share you're input.

Interview a technical support person.  Locate a technical support person at your school, your work, or a local company.  Find out the following information:

Internal

2. With what resources does the person work (i.e, hardware, software, peripherals, networks, information)?

All of the above

3. What type of applications do end users work with most frequently in their jobs?

Office (because I work in a school the primary application is the gradebook system)

4. Do any users or applications present difficult problems for him or her as a technical support person?

Not particularly.  The job becomes routine after a while.  Every once in a while there are new challenges but not often. 

5.Does the organization have a policy on software piracy, invasion of privacy, or virus protection?

Only district standard software can be installed on computers

Both

Server support and application support (Citrix).

Custom designed applications made for the Engineering and Desgin of Oil Refineries and Power Plants.

Yes, since most of these applications are designed for a certain purpose, they often have challenges to make them available to over 10,000 users.

Yes, we have our own internal license system, as well as privacy policies.  We also use a corporate anti virus product where all the definitions are server managed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.