echo message after each for loop run

severndigital

ok ..

so i want to have a message display to the browser after each instance of the for loop is complete. is there a way to do this in PHP or will i have to use Javascript to make it happen??

example

$arrayList = array(1,2,3,4,5);

for($i = 0;$i < count($arrayList); $i++){
      //do something here.
     // then echo completion information
     echo 'Process: ' . $arrayList[$i] . ' Complete <br />';
}

it works but shows all the echos after the script runs ... is there a way to echo the string directly after the loop runs ??

Thanks,

-C

By default, PHP is buffered. You can force the output to be flushed to the browser with flush, however. Unless you're doing some pretty intensive stuff or you call sleep you're not going to notice it though.

Also, if you want to test it, you'll need to echo and flush some white space to the browser or something - a lot of browsers have their own buffering and require a certain amount of data before they'll display anything.

Edit: For example:

<?php
echo str_repeat(' ',256);
flush();
for($x=0;$x<5;$x++){
    echo $x.'<br />';
    flush();
    sleep(1);
}
?>

$arrayList = array(1,2,3,4,5);

for($i = 0;$i < count($arrayList); $i++){
      //do something here.
     // then echo completion information
     echo 'Process: ' . $arrayList[$i] . ' Complete <br />';
}

ob_flush();
flush();

It will only work on some browsers. I know it works on FF, unsure about any others.

It will only work on some browsers. I know it works on FF, unsure about any others.

Also, if you want to test it, you'll need to echo and flush some white space to the browser or something - a lot of browsers have their own buffering and require a certain amount of data before they'll display anything.

;)

There is at least one more factor, if your server/browser negotiate to use compression to send the requested page.

Php, web servers, and browsers all (can) do buffering and compression. To get this to work you must statisfy/flush all the buffers and prevent any compression.

Web servers and browsers are not designed to have one request for a page to be output and displayed as discrete pieces.

The sure fire way to get this to work is to have the browser make timed requests to a page on the server and that page returns the available information that is then displayed in the browser. This is typically done using AJAX, but you could just have the page refresh itself at timed intervals.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.