Email via Handle Only

proggR

I'm 99% sure this doesn't currently exist but I imagine will at some point.

What would it take to have an email system that uses only your handle (tag, screen name etc) and no domain? For instance if someone wrote "hopelessX" in the TO of an email it would come to me. We see that internally on sites with a PM feature, but what about email in general? I know the issue would be it wouldn't know what domain to send it to, but what if there was some kind of Personal Name Server similar to DNS that automatically routes the mail to the appropriate location. I guess even with the DNS example a TLD is in use.

I'm just getting sick of seeing @ I think. I want to just have my name or pseudo-name appear and use the mail service I choose.

As a PS, anyone know of any good free mail providers? Gmail is great and all but I kind of want to try something new.

I agree. As long as I can claim mine I'm happy haha.

And think of how many new jobs would be created as name resellers haha

Maybe you'd have to register it and pay like you do for site domains.

hopelessX.mail... I don't so much mind the look of that. No @ :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.