PHP trashing

Acs

Is it only me that hates people that thrash php because they prefer to use C# or Java?

I was having this discussion with two colleagues at work and it really irritated me how they dismissed php, just because of it not having Visual Studio as it's main ide. One of them also remarked that besides java being faster nobody uses php for security, saying that no bank site or big web shop site uses php.

This really really irritates me.

For the ide part I know that Zend studio and PhPed are really good ide's.

And I don't see any thing on the web saying that java or c# are faster than php.

Does anyone know any bank sites or big e-commerce sites that use php? Just so that I can't tell them that php is still used in many places, just because they don't know about it doesn't mean there aren't sites that use php.

I have to admit, I haven't seen bank websites using PHP (but then again, I don't go around looking at all the bank sites I can find and check to see if this is the case or not).

I did a quickle Google search on PHP vs Java.... from what I have been reading (as I have never worked with Java), apparently the speed opinion leans towards Java as it is a precompiled language that involves partial interpretation where as PHP is completely interpreted (not precompiled) [in this context, the term 'out of the box' was used].

From a security apsect, apparently Java allows for libraries to be 'signed' by a reputable source, thus adding certification that the code came from somewhere safe (I am going on a limb here in guessing that in this context, if there is a very highly reputable and known company that releases a library, others can check and confirm this and thus use it without any second guessing? Again, I'm not familair with this at all..an experienced Java coder would be in a better position to explain / confirm or deny this).

Having never touched Java, I cannot personally vouche for these things.. just reading up on it 'here-say'. You'd have to do some detailed indepth research yourself to really get to the bottom of this I suppose.

Does anyone know any bank sites or big e-commerce sites that use php? Just so that I can't tell them that php is still used in many places, just because they don't know about it doesn't mean there aren't sites that use php.

I know one PHP developer who once commented to me on the code base that powered one of the clients of the company he worked for: a bank.

I don't know what my bank uses, but you need to login using a really annoying Java applet, so I guess it's likely that the rest is Java powered as well.

I did a quickle Google search on PHP vs Java.... from what I have been reading (as I have never worked with Java), apparently the speed opinion leans towards Java as it is a precompiled language that involves partial interpretation where as PHP is completely interpreted (not precompiled) [in this context, the term 'out of the box' was used].

That's easily alleviated using an opcode cache such as APC.

That's easily alleviated using an opcode cache such as APC.

Well, there you have it :) I'm having a look at such PHP accelerators on Wikipedia, and one that is mentioned as being tested on production Linux-based servers is XCache.. this got me wondering... is it common for hosting providers (in general) to use such accelerators?

Shared hosting probably wouldn't use it because it could confuse some clients since the files are cached for some length of time.  "OMG WHY ISN'T MY PAGE CHANGING?!?!?!"  That could be a config setting or something though (whether to check file mod times or not.)

Someone was supporting C# and didn't like PHP?  Ewwwww.

I'm probably talking out my ass, but I personally think you don't see a whole lot of banks using php because they've been around a lot longer than php and started out making their website in the languages available at the time, and have more or less just stuck with whatever they started out with. 

In many cases it is really difficult to say what they're using, since they're rewriting their urls...

Let's see... Can we safely assume, that if developers are smart enough to rewrite urls, they're also smart enough to use PHP instead of ASP? :P

From what I hear, more and more corporate web applications are developed in Java. I am tempted to download this Glassfish Server myself and see how it works.

Hrmmm strange.  I was right about ASP on my bank's site at first glance.  Powered-By: ASP.NET in the headers.  They're also using IIS 6.  Hasn't IIS 7 been out for a while now?  Is it Vista only or have they just not upgraded?  I guess they have no reason to upgrade.

Java?  I can't think of any major sites off the top of my head that is coded in Java, but I'm sure there are a ton.  I tried coding some JSP stuff once and I gave up.  PHP is 1000x faster (well for me anyway).

I suppose at least Sun uses Glassfish :P

I did not find any list of Glassfish user's, but Googling for 'glassfish case studies' shows some pdf results. And I suppose Glassfish is not the only way to have Java powered webapp.

I also know of one high-end (licenses _starting_ from approx $40000) corporate software that uses Java for it's web content generation.

I was fairly sure you were being a troll, but just in case, I looked at the headers to microsoft.com.

X-UA-Compatible: IE=EmulateIE7

Yes, that is microsoft.com telling IE8 to act like IE7.  Anyone else see the humor?

Anyway, I heard that hotmail used to be run on a linux server, but I never heard that microsoft.com was.  Were you being serious?  Guessing not.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.