what am i missing?

phpmania1

I would go with a lighter shade of blue with no patterns.

Do a search on PHPFreaks there's some links that can assist you in picking a color scheme, including backgrounds.

gee thanks, i am aware that the contents consist of a

Sorry, didn't mean to be mean, constructive criticism.  ;D

The Google ad is the first thing I see. Move it to the bottom, make it vertical and move to the side, or get rid of it.

I viewed a few templates and started making some notes but soon got lost with the various changes. Some of the templates resulted with faulty pages (I'm using IE 7). I suggest you stick with one structural template but offer a selection of colors and/or font sizes based on accessibility (i.e vision/color challenged users).

* Remember, this is all just my opinion *

The background is still too dark.  That looks nothing like what phpfreaks has, as I mentioned earlier.  How about a lavender (#E6E6FA).  The header looks like you did it in MS paint.  The lights behind the text is the eye bleeding part.  Do you have access to photoshop, fireworks, or GIMP?  I can provide you with a decent tutorial to make a simple banner for your site that looks really nice and professional.

i thought it wad too bright earlier? ahah.

i'm using gimp, but apparently not properly.

a tutorial would be muchly appreciated.

i realize it is your opinion, i prefer brutal honesty.

I didn't mean to come off offended in the previous posts.

I will try the lavender. makes sense, a darker background draws attention to the background, and takes the attention off of the actual page. a lighter, passive background will give them nothing to look at.!

For your default style:

-missing header

-footer content is tiny (unreadable)

When you choose other styles everything gets messed up, things are flying all over the screen.

For the most part it looks decent, just get some content up there.  I like the background!

i wouls say the colours still need work. they dont compliment each other and the lavender background is a bit bright IMHO.

also the copyright notice etc is too small to read and though this may be intended it is not good usability wise.

finally - another usability issue. the email link "HERE" looks unproffessional and alot of people don't use outlook so you are narrowing the amount of people that can/will contact you. i would reccomend scripting a form yourself, it is very easy and there are lots of tutorials out there. if you are not comfortable doing this i would reccomend having a look at http://123contactform.com they offer a solution that allows you to just copy their html in to your page and fill in a few details suh as email address and they take care of the rest (i.e. the backend php stuff) - it realy easy to use and i used it as beginner. the benefit is a more proffessional look and a broader reach than an outlook link. and IT'S FREE! all they ask is a simple backlink. hope this helps.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.