user _id | site_id

------------------

2        |  44

------------------

7        |  44

-----------------

21      |  12

------------------

3rd table links site ids and user ids based on membership_level from table 1 like:

id | membership_id | site_id

-------------------------------

1  | 1                  | 44

-----------------------------

2  | 9                  | 44

----------------------------

3  | 5                  | 21

----------------------------

4  | 11                  | 21

------------------------------   

what I need to do is get the membership_id(s) from table one based on membership_level, and the user_id(s) from table 2 based on site_id and place them into table 3 in one pass.

I have tried various things with different results. The biggest problem I am having is because there are numerous user_id (s) and numerous site_id(s) I end up with only the first record.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem for me? I was told to grab the data and place into arrays and loop thru the results on the insert, but it just isn't hitting home with me. Examples much appreciates as is any help.

what kind of result that u want? i not fully understand what you are saying, but my idea based on your table , u should using site_id to retrieve what user and what membership_level .

ex:

1 premium --> site_id 44 --> user_id(2)..

what I need to do is get the membership_id(s) from table one based on membership_level, and the user_id(s) from table 2 based on site_id and place them into table 3 in one pass.

Sorry I dont have the luxury of changing any table layouts or field names. I must retrieve the information from the two tables as shown and place it into the third table.

I must retrieve the information from the two tables as shown and place it into the third table.

But on what basis?

Membership levels have been set in other pages functions and assigned to users.

Site ids and user ids in second table are being created in the process.

There needs to be some relation between data in both tables. In other words, how do you know, which membership_id assign to which site_id?

Thats the step I am at, assigning a link between the two ids in the third table. There has to be some way of doing a call and placing into an array do another call into an array then loop and place into the third table. Thats the part that has me stumped.

Perhaps someone can just give me an example of getting membership ids from table one based on level and placing into array and inserting into another table. Perhaps I can go from there...

UPDATE table3 AS t2, table1 AS t1 SET t3.membership_id = t1.membership_id WHERE t1.membership_level = 'premium' AND t3.site_id =...

That would be one part, but you need to have something after AND. Otherwise it will update all rows in table3

UPDATE table3 AS t2, table1 AS t1 SET t3.membership_id = t1.membership_id WHERE t1.membership_level = 'premium' AND t3.site_id =...

That would be one part, but you need to have something after AND. Otherwise it will update all rows in table3

Thats not the missing part of the puzzle.

The missing part is getting the information into an array.

$query = "SELECT * FROM table1";
$result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error().": $query");
while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
  $array1[] = $row;
}

$query = "SELECT * FROM table2";
$result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error().": $query");
while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
  $array2[] = $row;
}

//Now you should have both tables loaded into arrays. Let's display them.
var_dump($array1);
var_dump($array2);

like mchl said , u have to create 2 sql.

1st include table2 and table3...

"select from table2, table3 where table2.site_id = table3.site_id"

then you have table3.membership_id result,

create 1 more sql for table1, set $result = table3.membership_id

"select from table1 where table1.membership_id ='$result'"

like mchl said , u have to create 2 sql.

1st include table2 and table3...

"select from table2, table3 where table2.site_id = table3.site_id"

then you have table3.membership_id result,

create 1 more sql for table1, set $result = table3.membership_id

"select from table1 where table1.membership_id ='$result'"

As stated nothing in common to join tables all id numbers are different and unique as they are for different purposes.

I have been playing with the arrays, for some reason when testing when I should get 2,3 I get 0,1,2 .

I feel like theres something still missing ...

The idea is what I need tho, the 2 tables into arrays then loop thru the results and insert into table 3.

I can't even grasp why you even want this, as the contents of third table will be completely unrelated...?

It is pretty complex, there are some 67 tables total being dealt with by the program. I didnt really think that the reasoning would matter, just the functions.

I am becomming more and more convinced it may not be possible at all as when I do use the arrays as shown even with false results as described, the results from the second table are not placed in the third table in the while loop.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.