[SOLVED] unfort gonna have to reopen this. get first to numbers but keep as INT

polardude1983

I have a current_weight field. where ppl have their weight put in there so. if someone enters their weight in the form as 228 then the new_weight field says 22

This works if i keep it as new_weight CHAR(2), but then the 22 is a character and cannot be added to anything else since it is not an integer

so how can i do it so where new_weight is an integer but only grabs the first 2 numbers from 228?

new_weight INT(2) does not work it still grabs all 3

any idea on how to do this? im very puzzled

well I'm wanting to keep the original 228 number as it is used later. but i want to extract the first 2 numbers from that 3 digit number and still keep it as an integer.

if someone enters 128 ill use that number later, but when i extract the first 2 numbers i will get 12. and i will need to use that new number later too.

weight / 10 will give you the first 2 digits.

Note though that if someone puts in a weight under 100, it will give you 1 digit.

Also, you may want to floor() the number since MySQL will throw a warning if you try to store a float in an integer field.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.