ok all you experts, this is a wierd one

medaswho

in my app, i have a page that inserts rows into mysql db, and then i have been trying to make the page(s) that will retrieve.  but so far my efforts at retrieval have fallen short.  after lots of testing i realized that the rows i put in directly using phpMyAdmin come out in the retrieval scripts just fine, but the rows i have added to the db programmatically do not do what is expected of them.  y'all still with me? LOL

i have tried my insert code two ways and niehter way works.  here is the code:

first try:

mysql_connect($host,$user,$password);

mysql_select_db($dbname);

$add_member = "INSERT INTO members(screenname,pass_word,date_created,member_firstname, member_lastname, genre, is_group,

stage_name, my_email)

VALUES(' ".$_POST["user_name"]." ',

' ".$_POST["password"]." ',

now(),

' ".$_POST["first_name"]." ',

' ".$_POST["last_name"]." ',

' ".$_POST["genre"]." ',

' ".$_POST["group"]." ',

' ".$_POST["stage_name"]." ',

' ".$_POST["email"]." ')";

$result = mysql_query($add_member);

// try number two i added code to escape to real characters:

mysql_connect($host,$user,$password);

mysql_select_db($dbname);

$add_member = "INSERT INTO members(screenname,pass_word,date_created,member_firstname, member_lastname, genre, is_group,

stage_name, my_email)

VALUES(' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["user_name"])." ',

' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["password"])." ',

now(),

' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["first_name"])." ',

' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["last_name"])." ',

' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["genre"])." ',

' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["group"])." ',

' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["stage_name"])." ',

' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["email"])." ')";

$result = mysql_query($add_member);

...now the thing is that they both work to add rows, but either way i can't get correct results from the db with my other code.

for those who asked, the result() in the above code goes on and does something else in the app...i guess i just coppied and pasted too much, didn't think it would cause confusion...and as for Cal's question...here it is

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM members

WHERE screenname = '".$sname."'") or die(mysql_error()); 

if($result) {

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC)) {

$pass_check  = $row['pass_word'];

$sname_check = $row['screenname'];

echo $pass_check."<br>";

echo $sname_check."<br>";

}

}

and nothing prints if its one that i added programmatically, but if i add a row right in phpMyAdmin , the echo prints something.

do u see the rows added programatically in phpmyadmin ?

also try

$result = mysql_query($add_member) or die(mysql_error()); //easiest way to debug db transactions....mysql_error() 
echo mysql_insert_id(); // this shows auto increment id of record inserted, if this comes properly, record is inserted ok.

Try this and tell us what you get for an error:

<?php
$conn = mysql_connect($host,$user,$password) or die(mysql_error());
            mysql_select_db($dbname) or die(mysql_error());

$add_member = "INSERT INTO members(screenname,pass_word,date_created,member_firstname, member_lastname, genre, is_group, stage_name, my_email)
                        VALUES(' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["user_name"])." ',
                                   ' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["password"])." ',
                                   now(),
                                   ' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["first_name"])." ',
                                   ' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["last_name"])." ',
                                   ' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["genre"])." ',
                                   ' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["group"])." ',
                                   ' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["stage_name"])." ',
                                   ' ".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["email"])." ')";

mysql_query($add_member, $conn) or die(mysql_error());

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.