[SOLVED] PHP referrers script string - Please help!

unlimited2009

Hello there,

I am in a bit of a muddle. I have a PHP referrers script on my website, the script was made by a guy called Scott Riggs, if anyone is familar with it.

Anyway, I'm receiving alot of unwanted fake referrers from websites and would like a solution to this.

<?php
/*
  Modified by Scott Riggs
  at www.cybernetec.com
*/
$path = '/home/path/public_html/';

// Name of referrer log file
$reflog = $path . 'reflog.txt';

// Name of semaphore file
$semaphore = $path . 'semaphore.ref';

// Maximum number of referrers to log
$maxref = 9;

// Domain name of this site (minus "http://vimixx.net")
$mydomain = 'yoursite.co.uk';

// From whence did Bunky come?
$ref = getenv("HTTP_REFERER");

I was wondering if there's a way to add more URLS to the '$mydomain' string, as this will prevent unwanted fake referrers being mentioned on my website. If anyone could help me with this, as I have tried several ways and I keep getting errors, then it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

You do realize that the "HTTP_REFERER" variable is highly un-reliable. Anyone can spoof it, unfortunately.

If a spammer (I take it that is the aim of this script to prevent) wants to he just adds it to hist browser and that being the default referrer and wham, he has access.

Just noticed it logs it.

So you want to add more websites to "not" log. List 2-3 of the websites you do not want to be logged and this is an easy fix.

You do realize that the "HTTP_REFERER" variable is highly un-reliable. Anyone can spoof it, unfortunately.

If a spammer (I take it that is the aim of this script to prevent) wants to he just adds it to hist browser and that being the default referrer and wham, he has access.

Just noticed it logs it.

So you want to add more websites to "not" log. List 2-3 of the websites you do not want to be logged and this is an easy fix.

I'm not too good with PHP, please show me an example of what to do, thanks.

Maybe if you provide me with the requested information I can help.

Let's just say blahblah1.com and blahblah2.com, where would that go? And would there be an option to add more?

Since you only posted half the script, here is a rough example.

<?php
/*
  Modified by Scott Riggs
  at www.cybernetec.com
*/
$path = '/home/path/public_html/';

$maxref = 9;

// Domain name of this site (minus "http://vimixx.net")
$mydomain = array('yoursite.co.uk', 'blahblah.com', 'blahblah2.com');

$log = true;
foreach ($mydomain as $domain) {
    if (stristr($domain, $ref) !== false) {
           $log = false;
           break; // exit the loop no need to continue.
   }
}

if ($log) {
    //log to file
}

Use stristr to test if a domain listed in the array of $mydomain if it is simply set the log to false, exit the loop then use an if to see if you log the referrer to file or not.

I do not know how the rest of the script works, but hopefully you can take that idea and implement it on your own.

<?php

/*

Modified by Scott Riggs

at www.cybernetec.com

*/

$path = '/home/pathname/public_html/';

$maxref = 15;

// Domain name of this site (minus "http://")

$mydomain = array('blah1.com', 'blah2.com', 'blah3.com');

$log = true;

$log = false;

}

}

if ($log) {

//log to file

}

// Cover me. I'm going in.

if (($ref) and (!strstr($ref, $mydomain))) { // if there's a referrer, and it's not someone bouncing around this site

$ref .= "\n"; // append a line feed

$sp = fopen($semaphore, "w"); // open the semaphore file

if (flock($sp, 2)) { // lock the semaphore; other processes will stop and wait here

$rfile = file($reflog); // read the referrer log into an array

if ($ref <> $rfile[0]) { // if this referrer is different from the last one

if (count($rfile) == $maxref) // if the file is full

array_pop($rfile); // pop the last element

array_unshift($rfile, $ref); // push the new referrer onto the front

$r = join("", $rfile); // make the array into a string

$rp = fopen($reflog, "w"); // open the referrer log in write mode

$status = fwrite($rp, $r); // write out the referrer URLs

$status = fclose($rp); // close the log

}

}

$status = fclose($sp); // close the semaphore (and release the lock)

}

?>

if (($ref) && $log) {        // if there's a referrer, and it's not someone bouncing around this site
  $ref .= "\n";                                                                // append a line feed
  $sp = fopen($semaphore, "w");                                // open the semaphore file
  if (flock($sp, 2)) {                                                // lock the semaphore; other processes will stop and wait here
     $rfile = file($reflog);                                        // read the referrer log into an array
      if ($ref <> $rfile[0]) {                                // if this referrer is different from the last one
           if (count($rfile) == $maxref)                // if the file is full
               array_pop($rfile);                                // pop the last element

array_unshift($rfile, $ref);                // push the new referrer onto the front
           $r = join("", $rfile);                                // make the array into a string
           $rp = fopen($reflog, "w");                        // open the referrer log in write mode
           $status = fwrite($rp, $r);                        // write out the referrer URLs
           $status = fclose($rp);                                // close the log
       }
  }
  $status = fclose($sp);                                                // close the semaphore (and release the lock)
}

Should do it.

if (($ref) && $log) {        // if there's a referrer, and it's not someone bouncing around this site
 $ref .= "\n";                                                                // append a line feed
 $sp = fopen($semaphore, "w");                                // open the semaphore file
 if (flock($sp, 2)) {                                                // lock the semaphore; other processes will stop and wait here
    $rfile = file($reflog);                                        // read the referrer log into an array
     if ($ref <> $rfile[0]) {                                // if this referrer is different from the last one
          if (count($rfile) == $maxref)                // if the file is full
              array_pop($rfile);                                // pop the last element

array_unshift($rfile, $ref);                // push the new referrer onto the front
          $r = join("", $rfile);                                // make the array into a string
          $rp = fopen($reflog, "w");                        // open the referrer log in write mode
          $status = fwrite($rp, $r);                        // write out the referrer URLs
          $status = fclose($rp);                                // close the log
      }
 }
 $status = fclose($sp);                                                // close the semaphore (and release the lock)
}

Should do it.

Nope, it's still showing my website address as a recent referrer.

Here's a copy of the script I found, maybe theres more to do: http://lee-stewart.co.uk/ccount/click.php?id=54

<?php
/*
Modified by Scott Riggs
at www.cybernetec.com
*/

$maxref = 15;

$mydomain = array('lee-stewart.co.uk', 'blah2.com', 'blah3.com');

$log = true;
	$log = false;
}
}

if (!empty($ref) && $log) {        // if there's a referrer, and it's not someone bouncing around this site
$ref .= "\n";                                                                // append a line feed
$sp = fopen($semaphore, "w");                                // open the semaphore file
if (flock($sp, 2)) {                                                // lock the semaphore; other processes will stop and wait here
	$rfile = file($reflog);                                        // read the referrer log into an array
	if ($ref <> $rfile[0]) {                                // if this referrer is different from the last one
		array_unshift($rfile, $ref);                // push the new referrer onto the front
		$r = join("", $rfile);                                // make the array into a string
		$rp = fopen($reflog, "w");                        // open the referrer log in write mode
		$status = fwrite($rp, $r);                        // write out the referrer URLs
	}
}
$status = fclose($sp);                                                // close the semaphore (and release the lock)
}

?>

The above is tested and working.

Make sure you are not just seeing an old entry an thinking it was newly created.

Sorry, I tested the above with a bad string to test with.

This should work (I had the params for stristr reversed.)

<?php
/*
Modified by Scott Riggs
at www.cybernetec.com
*/

$maxref = 15;

$mydomain = array('lee-stewart.co.uk', 'blah2.com', 'blah3.com');

$log = true;
if (stristr($ref, $domain) !== false) { // fixed this, they were reversed. 
	$log = false;
}
}

if (!empty($ref) && $log) {        // if there's a referrer, and it's not someone bouncing around this site
	}
}
}

?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.