[SOLVED] Is it possible with an I.P. to get the exact location?

PugJr

Is it possible with an I.P. to get the exact location?

Well, I was debating with one of my buddies and he sure was bent on thinking that with an I.P. (un-proxy) that you can get the exact location, the exact house for that matter where one lives. I always thought you could get the general area such as the city but not the exact place. Could anyone clarify this for me?

Oh and I mean more than 10% of the time. Once in awhile you might get a lucky strike with it but as far as the exact location almost 100% of the time goes.

If you found the ISP and the ISP told you the physical address of the modem leasing the IP address, then yes, you could find, assuming the modem is at the place of residence listed with the ISP (or the ISP knows where the modem is from some method).

As far as a database goes, you would only get as detailed as city, or maybe (MAYBE!) county.

Thanks corbin, thats something like I would expect. Now I also have a question of is it common at all for the ISP to give out the precise location of ones I.P. assuming the person had no governing authority behind him? Like an average joe was to ask would he get the location?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.