My Portfolio - again!

Adam

I've posted my portfolio up here before a while ago but I've been doing some work on it and would be interested to know what people think?

Content isn't 100% finished but nearly there! Certain features are a bit dicky I'm aware, but mainly design-wise, what's your impressions?

The code and CSS' is a little messy at the moment, they will be cleaned up once development is complete though! Also the images may not be the most optimized, but all will be done in due time!

http://www.adamswork.net

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam... while I like the clean and simple look of it.. I'm not sure why the site is developed to be so narrow.. It makes everything feel way too constricted in this day and age where more and more monitors are becoming increasingly wide screen. As it is your current width is even smaller than the now arguably obsolete 800 pixel wide format. Don't be afraid to expand out and give your content 'room to breath'.

Within the copy of 'Web Development and Applications', I think instead of using odd words like 'bespoke', I would stick to more common terms like 'custom built'. While it is nice to try to impress the prospective client with fancy words, one must be careful about how they do this. Otherwise you start to sound really awkward.

For the copy within 'SEO (Search engine optimization)', wouldn't the word 'artwork' in the sentence 'Mastering the ranking systems of a modern day search engine is an artwork.' sound better as 'art form'?

Again, I would consider changing 'bespoke' within the 'CMS (Content management system)' section.

On the contact page, you have what seems like a capcha type system (as I imagine the user would need to fill those numbers in the blue box into the text field beside it?). If this this the case, it kind of defeats the purpose of including your email at the top of the page, doesn't it? Spammers will be able to scrape that easily I'm sure.

I agree with everything said above, but to add the portfolio just doesn't make sense.  You have a lightbox that just opens the same little thumbnail with a couple links under it.  If you don't plan to add more such as a larger image and/or description you should kill the lightbox and just add the links under the thumbnail.

Thin width was just my preference to be honest, I like the look... But I appreciate what you're saying.

I'll certainly work on the content changes you said, as I said before the content isn't 100% finished - kind of a first draft that I plan to go through and change the odd bit. Hah yeah I guess they could.. I read somewhere about encoding the email with JavaScript to prevent them scraping it? Probs look into that or removing it.

The lightbox I actually coded myself, and just earlier on I over wrote the images used in it by mistake, they were big not so long ago.

Thanks for the replies I'll make some changes when I have time!

Adam

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.