[SOLVED] Ordering Contents of a Field Alphabetically

millsy007

Hi

I have some results that I would like to order but I am not sure how this is done.I have a query to bring out a list of passengers on a journey. To make it clearer for the user I would like to be able to order the way in which

the contents of a particular field are shown. Currently the passengers are shown in the passenger_name field in a seemingly random way:

departs     spaces passengers

2009-02-27 10:00:00 4 lee | rob | scott | paul

2009-02-27 10:25:00 4 lee | paul | scott |rob

2009-02-27 10:55:00 7 lee

For clarity I would like to order the contents of this field alphabetically:

departs     spaces passengers

2009-02-27 10:00:00 4 lee | paul | rob | scott

2009-02-27 10:25:00 4 lee | paul | rob | scott

2009-02-27 10:55:00 7 lee

I know there is an order by clause but I think that this just orders all the results vertically as opposed to within the actual field?

This is my sql:

(SELECT   tb2.journey_dttm as departure, ('8' - tb2.occupancy) AS spaces,
(SELECT IF(GROUP_CONCAT(passenger_name SEPARATOR '|') IS NULL, '', GROUP_CONCAT(passenger_name SEPARATOR '|'))  
FROM passengers WHERE journey_id = tb2.id) AS passengers FROM shuttle AS tb1 LEFT JOIN journey AS tb2 ON 
( tb1.id = tb2.shuttle_id ) LEFT JOIN trip_route AS tb3 ON ( tb2.route_id = tb3.id ) 
WHERE tb1.depart_dttm = '$depart_dttm' ORDER BY tb2.id ASC, tb2.route_id ASC)

Is there something I can add to achieve what I need?

I would normalize the schema a bit.

Something like:

CREATE TABLE flights (

flight_id int NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENTING PRIMARY KEY,

departure_time datetime NOT NULL,

spaces smallint

);

CREATE TABLE flight_passengers (

flight_id int NOT NULL,

passenger_name VARCHAR(255)

);

Then it would be easier to extract data.

(You could go one step farther and have a passengers table with IDs mapped to passengers then map flight IDs to passenger IDs.)

I can try to help you do it your way though, if you want to stick with what you have.

Hi thanks for the posts, this is pretty much the last issue I have with my program so would preferably not like to change too much. But it sounds like there isnt an 'easy' way to order the values in the passenger_name field?

Did you try using ORDER BY inside the GROUP_CONCAT() ???

I tried:

(SELECT tb1.depart_dttm as departure,  tb3.route_desc as route, ('7' - tb2.occupancy) AS spaces,

(SELECT IF(GROUP_CONCAT(passenger_name SEPARATOR '|') IS NULL, '', GROUP_CONCAT(passenger_name SEPARATOR '|'))

FROM passengers WHERE journey_id = tb2.id ORDER BY passenger_name) AS passengers FROM shuttle AS tb1 LEFT JOIN journey AS tb2 ON

( tb1.id = tb2.shuttle_id ) LEFT JOIN trip_route AS tb3 ON ( tb2.route_id = tb3.id )

WHERE DATE(tb1.depart_dttm) = '2009-01-30' ORDER BY tb2.id ASC, tb2.route_id ASC)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.