Need help on distinct parameter

bulgin

Using Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.67, for debian-linux-gnu (i486) using readline 5.2

I have the following bit of code:

SELECT distinct request_uri , sent_or_not_sent, id FROM web3_access_log where sent_or_not_sent = '0'

and the result set are 4 when I had hoped it would be just 1.

There are 4 records with the same request_uri but I only want returned 1 instance of that. In the above code the id's are all different and I'm sure that is why 4 rows are returned and not 1.

What would I do to make sure only the first occurrence of the request_uri is returned along with those other fields?

Much confused.

Thanks in advance.

The distinct query applies to all of the fields selected so even though all of the rows contain the same 'request_uri', they will have different 'id' and 'sent_or_not_sent' values which will make the rows different and therefore distinct.

Thanks I finally figured out that I need to put group by request_uri and just remove the distinct from the code and it works fine.

Careful -- you have other fields in your select list that aren't aggregrated!

Thanks I finally figured out that I need to put group by request_uri and just remove the distinct from the code and it works fine.

Careful -- you have other fields in your select list that aren't aggregrated!

Okay, thanks.  I'm a newbie here so what are the implications with the aggregation?  The method I used seemed to work perfectly, it only returned 1 row with all the fields I needed.  Are you implying that there are some records floating around out there unhinged?

Final query:

SELECT substring( web3_access_log.request_uri, 2 ) , web3_access_log.sent_or_not_sent, web3_access_log.id, web3_access_log.remote_host, cust.widget, cust.logged_in_user_email FROM web3_access_log JOIN cust ON substring( web3_access_log.request_uri, 2 ) = cust.widget where web3_access_log.sent_or_not_sent = '0' group by request_uri

table structure of web3_access_log:

id  char(19)  utf8_general_ci

remote_host varchar(50) utf8_general_ci

request_uri varchar(255) utf8_general_ci

sent_or_not_sent varchar(11) utf8_general_ci

table structure of cust:

widget varchar(255) utf8_general_ci

logged_in_user_email varchar(255) utf8_general_ci

The query returns only one occurence from many records of each request_uri with the assocaited fields.  For example the table web3_access_log may have:

request_uri:

asdfasd0980asd

-9-345assdfasdf

09808fawewfqw

-9-345assdfasdf

-9-345assdfasdf

-9-345assdfasdf

-9-345assdfasdf

The results are:

asdfasd0980asd ... along with fields from other table that match

-9-345assdfasdf... along with fields from other table that match

09808fawewfqw... along with fields from other table that match

am I missing something important here?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.