Art display website

Rheves

http://mike.otherskies.net/

I made this site for my friend, he provided a picture of what it should look like so I can't take credit for that. I made everything else and learned a bit of javascript in the process too. There is also a php backend to the site that allows him to add new pictures or remove them. Right now there are no concept art picture up but if he adds any to the database they will appear on the page.

The #pictureName.jpg you get after clicking each picture is to provide a unique url for every picture, so art directors can click on one they like, and copy/paste whatever is in the address bar and it will automatically load picture that upon visiting the page.

I'm not sure if this is where I'm supposed to ask but generally how much would a site like this cost for a client? I don't do freelance website work but it is something I might be interested in doing in the future.

It's not bad, I like the header! But the main content is a little plain, and I can't read the footer text unless I zoom in.

For a website like that with some back-end CM, I reckon you could get about £200 (at least round here in Sheffield, UK)...

Adam

I like the general simplistic look of the site. Here are my thoughts:

• Site does not validate.
  • If the artist is using this site for hire, perhaps including some credentials and skills somewhere (preferably on the homepage), as this aspect is lacking. Just a fast way to give visitors a heads up on this person's artistic background.
  • On the home page, I find that the text section on the left of the main image can be spruced up somewhat. I'm not sure if it's how narrow the paragraphs are, or how there's no space between news and date and the rest of the paragraph to give the eyes something more 'structurally' organized to look at. It just feels all quickly lumped in.
  • That footer info is too small. I would consider making the text larger (doesn't have to be very large though).
  • The contact page is very bland. Looks like there is supposed to be an image on the left hand side. The text gets too close to the edge of the screen IMO. This whole area can use some improvements (from lack of images to even improving copy). Having this all formatted a little nicer with a visual image would imrpove this section a lot, as it too feels quickly slapped together. Since the email is exposed, this could be a target to spamming.
  • I would consider making the site more SEO friendly be incorporating some stuff like heading tags (think <h1>, <h2> etc..) to potentially bolster the site in page rankings.

Overall, it is nice and simple. Just needs some sprucing up in some areas.

• 3 weeks later...

- You should let the text on the left wrap instead of using <br />. It breaks in weird places instead of looking like it "fits".

- I'd add the site name to the titles i.e. "Mike Hiscott - Home" instead of just "Home".

- Love the header

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.