Insert Data Into Next Available Column

millsy007

I have a coach booking program, Each Coach/Shuttle trip is made of up of journeys, on each of these passengers names are booked into a seat. For example:

shuttle_id    Journey_id    route_id    depart_dttm    seat1    seat2    seat3    seat4    seat5

1                3                  3          01-01-2009    Jos      Jan      Joe     

When I insert a record I want to insert the current passenger name into the first available seat, so for the above example it would be seat 4.

My current insert statement works by:

INSERT INTO    journey

(seat1)

VALUES          ('$name') 

WHERE          shuttle_id=$id

AND                route_id=$route

Obviously this is only okay if seat 1 is available, how can I make it go into the first available/blank seat column?

Hi agreed that ideally I would add an extra table but alot of the program has already been produced so if I could keep the table in this format it would be great. I dont have a problem displaying the records or deleting them, it is just the part when I need to assign a passenger to a seat that is tricky. Is there something I could write that would allow this functionality?

Your going to need to write a series of select statements that loops through and checks each field for a value, when it find an empty field exit the loop and do your update.

Terribly inifficient but I can't see another way with that terrible table schema.

I know the schema is rubbbish, but really I need to work with what I have to get something working.

Would something like:

set $seat variable

select $seat as check from journey where id = $id

if returned check value is not null

increment $seat - do query with next seat value

else

do update query

?

It's ALWAYS better to fix design problems during the design phase. It takes at least 10 times more time and effort to fix problems after a design is being used. Your present design is inflexible and won't accommodate a different number of seats without modifying the table or a broken seat that is unusable without modifying the code that figures out the next available seat.

If you were using a table to hold the assigned seats, you could do a straight forward INSERT query that checks if the current count of the seats assigned for any "trip" is less than the available seats.

I would agree with that, unfortunately I'm past the design face of the overal website, page to delete and page to view the schedule are already done. It is only a last minute change to assign the passengers to specific seats that has caused an issue. That is why I am looking for a solution, that although it may be a little unflexible would get the information inserted.

Although not neat would the code plan I suggested be viable?

I do welcome feedback re. redesigning the schema but its not really possible in this case.

Ignoring the normalization issue, the "real" problem if that you can't specify column names dynamically in mysql statements.

So you'll need to determine which seat is available "next" -- trivial to do with a single statement, which you can then "pipe" to your update statement (since obviously insert isn't what you want).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.