[SOLVED] OOP - Session and Class Objects

premiso

Hey,

Just curious on storing Objects in Session with PHP. I know .NET does this regularly and was wondering if anyone had any reason why this would be avoided.

Basically I am going to have a Person Class that extends Address. A person can have 1 or more addresses. I want to store this person class in an object in session when they are modifying their data (UserCP). So instead of having to re-query each time, I just store that in session and make an isDirty variable so when they are done, it checks that variable. If anything has been changed it updates the database.

I do not really see anything wrong with this, but given that PHP's OOP is still getting the tweaks worked out I figured I would see if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks!

This has worked forever (only requirement is the class definition must exist before session_start() so that the data can be restored) -

<?php
require 'your_class.php';
session_start();
if(!isset($_SESSION['some_object_name'])){
// create instance
$_SESSION['some_object_name'] = new your_class();
echo 'object created<br />';
} else {
echo 'object exists<br />';
}

$_SESSION['some_object_name']->class_function();
echo $_SESSION['some_object_name']->class_variable;
?>

This has worked forever (only requirement is the class definition must exist before session_start()...

That must be the kicker that I never got to work.

Thanks for that PFMaBiSmAd.

Yea, I have seen the autoload, I have not looked into it. But I will and see if that works. Thanks.

This has worked forever (only requirement is the class definition must exist before session_start() so that the data can be restored)

As a follow-up question, what about us folks who start sessions automatically in the ini file ?

For my Oracle Object, I get "Incomplete_Object" because of it... It doesn't seem to be causing my application any harm...  Is it "safe" to continue using an incomplete object ? What are the ramifications ?

Thanks,

Scot L. Diddle, Richmond VA

This has worked forever (only requirement is the class definition must exist before session_start() so that the data can be restored)

As a follow-up question, what about us folks who start sessions automatically in the ini file ?

For my Oracle Object, I get "Incomplete_Object" because of it... It doesn't seem to be causing my application any harm...  Is it "safe" to continue using an incomplete object ? What are the ramifications ?

Thanks,

Scot L. Diddle, Richmond VA

I would use the autoloader as pointed out. As far as the incomplete object, I do not think it is kosher. If that does not answer your question, open up a new topic please.

Topic Solved.

If your session is automatically started in php.ini, I believe you are out of luck using the direct ($_SEESION[...] = new class();) method shown. You would need to fall back to use an indirect method of storing and retrieving the object variables in the session.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.