[SOLVED] only numbers

dadamssg

im using a variable passed the url as in mysite.com/work.php?id=45. I $_GET that number and use it in query in my database. I just need a simple pattern that checks whether its numerical or not. I don't want someone typing in sql in the url, refreshing and then a table is dropped or something. If the url is not a number, ill send them to the homepage or something. thanks, any advice would be awesome!

corbin, I definitely agree with you on using ctype_digit on this one. Note however that your pattern (should the OP go this route [and again, I personally wouldn't, not for stuff like this]) doesn't need the character class square brackets, as \d is already a short-hand character class for digits in its own right.

I thought shorthand character classes were only valid in [].

No, stuff like \d, \w etc... function just the same whether they are inside or outside a character class. Since \d matches exponents as well, and say you wanted only 0-9, then you would need to encase 0-9 within a character class, as 0-9 alone is not a short-hand character class of any sort.

~[0-9]+~

The only time (that I can think of at the moment) where you would need to wrap character class brackets around those is if:

a) you want to check for additional stuff, like a string consisting of only \d or - characters:

~[\d-]+~ // I'm ignoring ^, $, \A and \z stuff for 'expression simplicity' sake.

b) you want to match / capture anything that is not listed (thus using a negated character class):

~[^\d]+~

Wow I just realized that my regexp earlier, not only was it bad, but it was entirely wrong ;p.  It would have needed ^ and $.

Hrmmm I had always thought \d was 0-9.  Guess it makes sense that it's other stuff too though.

I swear I'm not regular expressionally retarded....  Just slow ;p.

Hrmmm I had always thought \d was 0-9

Yeah, this is the common belief. Granted, in most cases, \d will in fact do just fine.. (as how often does one actually run into exponents?). But it's a nice thing to know in the event exponents do find their way into strings.

I swear I'm not regular expressionally retarded....  Just slow ;p.

lol, I know you not. Not even slow..we all have our 'off days', and god knows, I've had more than my fair share (with more to come I'm sure!).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.