ASP? .NET?

N1CK3RS0N

Hello,

I really don't know much about either ASP and .NET, was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me?

Was looking at some web designer and web development jobs, and 90% of them list ASP or .NET instead of PHP. Why is this? How do they compare?

Any opinions or information is welcome.

Depends on where you search for jobs really. I seriously doubt that 90% of programming jobs are ASP and .net

I think you should broaden your search for jobs and you'll find that certainly isn't a 90% .net job listing

92.3% of all statistics are made on the fly. It's a rhetorical effect, like when you say "this takes forever" although the running time of the operation isn't in fact infinitely long.

I agree though. It shouldn't be that difficult to find a PHP job. N1CK3RS0N, you might be looking the wrong places for work.

Yeah I'm not looking for an actual job, was just looking to see what people look for.

Check on Yahoo Hotjobs. I could only find 2 that listed PHP on the front page of job listings for my area out of 25 jobs. Not all required PHP or .net though. But it was probably 15 for .net 2 for PHP.

Whats the difference between them though really? Why do people prefer .net? I read its more complicated and virtually provides the same functionality as PHP.

I think allot of it has to do with the fact that .NET is an MS technoligy. larger companies seem to be under the impression that if its backed by a large corperation it has to be better. In reality however its just another way of doing things.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.