Hm

waynew

When should I use prepared statements? I mean, I know the advantages they give in regards to security and multiple queries, but should I really go using them on every query that involves external data, and thus, end up with slower Req/Sec?

Forgive me if I'm wrong (and certainly correct me if I'm wrong), but I reckon that the below piece of code is secure enough on it's own?

$username = $mysqli_real_escape_string($mysqli,$username);
$check_username_query = "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM user WHERE username = '$username'";

When should I use prepared statements?

One of the advantages it has if you are going to run the query repeatedly then you'll see a performance boost because it's already prepared. So it's excellent for things like batch processing. The parametrized queries do not have any advantage over escaping values and interpolating them into the query string in terms of security. Of course if you make a habit of using parametrized queries then you will not accidentally forget escaping tainted data, so I suppose that it in that sense is more secure.

Is there really much of a security issue with this..?

No.

That's what I was thinking in regards to security. I mean, I'm pretty OCD about incoming data and I'm proud to say that I've never discovered that I've forgotten to clean something etc. I white list a lot of the time, so I maybe it's a good thing that I don't use them, unless of course, I'm doing multiple updates on the same table etc.

Thanks.

On the subject of "stick the query into one line..."

In a real application, when a query fails and even for some successful queries (so you can see what your visitors are searching for in your database), you would log all the information available about the query, including the actual query string. Forming the query in a separate variable makes it directly possible to log the actual query string without repeating it in the logging code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.