How long to be a semi-expert?

Anti-Moronic

Maybe so, but I plan to develop plugins for various php-based systems, whether their code sucks or not.

So, what about:

-Oscommerce

-Wordpress

Where is the demand in php and how long to satisfy expertise required? I really want to make a career out of this but I'm heavily distracted by the different 'sub' industries - like freelance php developing. On sites such as getafreelancer, rentacoder etc.

Thanks for your input.

I would really recommend starting with writing plugins for systems that have good structure, well commented code, stable development, etc.  You're going to be learning a lot from the code you're working with, and it's a lot better to learn good habits and then adapt to working with a horrible code base like OSCommerce than the other way around.

But to answer your original question, there's really only so many ways to to structure an application with slight variations, so once you start working with a lot of different systems and get comfortable with them, picking up a new one and understanding it isn't an issue.

buy a good PHP book.

Writing plugins for CMSs isn't a bad idea and it is probably a profitable...scheme.  The only problem is that people will only be using Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, etc for so long.  Eventually something will come along to knock all those out too.  I remember when phpNuke was the biggest thing on the streets.

But you won't get anywhere diving into code you know nothing about.  Learn to code some simple thing.  Other than Hello World examples.  Check out the tutorials here on phpfreaks.  Create a sample database...make buttons on a page to delete, update, and insert data to it.  You don't have to make anything fancy.  The best practice is to make a user membership/login system.  If you can make this...using sessinos and cookies and a database,etc,etc...then you are doing good.

You also will want to know basic AJAX since AJAX is sweeping the web away.  Well, I guess I should say Javascript.  Learn Javascript.  I'm starting to get contradicting now..so I'll lay it all out.

You need to know

-HTML

-CSS

-PHP

-JavaScript (and AJAX abilities)

once you have these down pat...diving into a CMS like Joomla, drupal, SMF or vbulletin will be a lot easier....even though it is still extremely difficult.

Personally I would suggest building applications from scratch then getting into things like developing plugins. If you are serious about making a career, then I don't think plugins will bring you the big money. I develop recruitment software (Candidate Management Systems) these types of systems can sell for 3/5 thousand pounds her in the UK.

Learn to develop applications

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.