Oh, all knowledgeable ones, please help me - Mysql database driven navigation

jandrews

Hello all,

I am currently in the process of making a new web site for musicians.

The basis of the site is an archive/folder of mp3 files containing the file names:

"artist-track.mp3"

I have been making static html web-sites for some time and I am fairly new to PHP but I do have some understanding of PHP code.

So far, I have made a web-site template which includes a working PHP forum talking to a mysql database.

But I struggling to find a way to make my several thousand mp3 tracks easily navigable by artist name and then by track.

I need some kind of way (instead of manually integrating thousands of mp3 files) of being able to do the following:

1. An alphabetical navigation bar for querying and displaying all artists by that letter.

2. This artists page will display query results as hyperlinks to take the user to a page for that artist.

3. A page for each artist with a list of their tracks (these query results will be hyperlinked to take the user to a page for that particular track.

4. Once a user has navigated to the page containing a particular track, a flash player will appear on the page to play the mp3 file.

5. A link on the track page to download the mp3 file.

I know this is a big ask but I have been trying to figure out a way to do this for some time and any help to point me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

• 1 month later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.