Email to php/url/script

bthompson00

Hi,

I'm not really sure about this one...

I'd like to be able to send an email to a script of some sort, preferably php which can then run its course...

I'm asking because I'm a freelance web developer, and I have a php script which sorts out my work roster for me and uploads it automatically to google calendar. The problem is that at work (health industry) I don't have access to the internet, but I do have email. So if I can email my roster to either a php script or something like that then it could still work... is anything like that possible?

Or can i email it to a special email address and have a script automatically analyze my incoming emails?

any ideas? point me in the right direction!

thanks!

Or can i email it to a special email address and have a script automatically analyze my incoming emails?

You could write a script that can check your mailbox via imap. You could have the script check the subject for a keyword or something. You'll then need to run this script via cron every ten minutes or whatever to make sure it checks your email regularly.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

Whats an MTA?

Sorry, MTA = Mail Transfer Agent. It's the mail server. Could be e.g. sendmail, postfix or qmail.

So if I have access to the incoming mail server, but not the outgoing, can I do what you are suggesting?

Yes.

I've just found this tutorial:

http://www.evolt.org/article/Incoming_Mail_and_PHP/18/27914/index.html

Brilliant!

I haven't looked at it yet, but just reading the requirements:

* PHP compiled as a CGI binary, not just as an Apache module;

* a local mail system or MTA, (are you using Sendmail, Exim, Qmail or some other system);

* shell access to your server, whether or not you have to be root depends on your mail system.

I'm not sure whether my server is setup like this.

Is there a way I can check these requirements?

Thanks very much!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.