[SOLVED] Messaging System-displaying user names

sciencebear

I am currently building a messaging system for my website. I already have a user system. In the user MySQL table, there is both a user id and a user name. However, the messages table is separate, and only stores the senders' and recipients' user ids, but in the inbox, I want to show the user names.

Right now, my code looks like this...

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM pmessages WHERE recipid='$userid'") or die(mysql_error());

if (mysql_num_rows($result) == 0) {

echo "No messages!";

}

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {

echo $row['senderid'];

}

How can I show the user name in the different table where the user id is the same as the sender id?

I don't see how I could use a join.

My db is like this:

Table:pmessages

-recipid

-senderid

-subject

Table:user

-userid

-username

And of course the user table has other fields like password and email, but I'm only using userid and username in this query.

So instead of echoing senderid, I want it to echo the username where the userid is the same as the senderid.

I'm not sure what you should join on, maybe userid and recipid?  But anyway, like I said, you have to use a join if you're using two different tables.

Try:

SELECT * FROM users u LEFT JOIN pmessages p ON u.userid = p.recipid WHERE p.recipid = '$userid';

I'm not sure what you should join on, maybe userid and recipid?  But anyway, like I said, you have to use a join if you're using two different tables.

Try:

SELECT * FROM users u LEFT JOIN pmessages p ON u.userid = p.recipid WHERE p.recipid = '$userid';

But that would take the recipient's row from the user table... so I should do that except with senderid? Does that sound right?

You don't have a recipid in the users table...  Not from what your table structure tells me.

If you just want username use this:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT u.userid FROM users u LEFT JOIN pmessages p ON u.userid = p.recipid WHERE p.recipid = '$userid'") or die(mysql_error());

if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0) {
   echo $row['username']
} else {
   echo "No Messages!";
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.