PHP script & server load

Andy17

Hey guys. First of all, I hope this is the best category for my question. Me and a mate are thinking about making a script that converts YouTube videos into an mp3 file (don't worry, we know how to make it legal). We are just thinking how big the server load would be... We realize that in the beginning the traffic wouldn't be huge and we also understand that we could need a dedicated server if the traffic goes up rapidly. What we would like to know is if we could start off with a "normal web server" (those ones with multiple websites on them) or if we would need a dedicated server due to the possible CPU load.

Thank you in advance.

Well, it probably depends on what sort of hosting package you're getting. If you get one that caps your cpu/memory then it'll either not work, or your hosting company will just get pissed off at you.

If you're actually thinking of setting this service up to make money (which means you'll want to offer competetive service), it might be worth hosting it yourself on a couple of pcs...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.