Job interview in 2 days (entry level C#/.NET programmer) - advice?

TheAntipop

So, I've got my first ever programming related job interview Wednesday.  This is a very big deal for me, and I'm nervous as fuck.  I recently got my Associates in Computer Science (major: programming) and decided to put my resume out there.  I actually was focusing more on an internship, since I have absolutely no experience working in the field. 

But I got a call today from an HR rep from Advanced Financial Services (it's a locally based financial company specializing in mortgage lending) expressing interest in seeing me for an interview.  Their job description specifies C# and SQL Server experience, and exposure to VB.NET, of which I have none.  My languages of choice (and what I've been schooled in) are Java, C++, and PHP.  I've also worked extensively with MySQL (in conjunction with Java and PHP).  All of this was on my resume (no C#, VB.NET or SQL Server was mentioned), but they called me anyway.  :D

Of course, C# shouldn't be too hard to get into seeing as how I have experience with both C++ and Java, plus it's all OOP involving generally the same concepts, but I'm wondering how specifically I will be tested.  I'm thinking about taking a crash course in C# before the interview, but I'm not sure how much I would retain.  ;D 

Anyway, to anyone who has ever had an interview for a programming job, what can I expect (especially from an entry level position)?  I mean, should I be expected to be tested on certain things, to write some sample code on the spot?  (I freaking hope not, my mind would probably freeze).

I mean, the job only requires a high school education, so I'm thinking it's not exactly going to be rocket science.  But I'm still scared to death at the prospect of the interview.  Any advice from people with programming job interview experience would be appreciated!

I would imagine they won't expect you to know it if you told them that you don't know it.

I find it strange that they would want you though knowing that you have no experience in the fields they want you to have experience in.

Maybe they switched your resume with someone elses, or maybe you're they're last hope?  Or maybe they just need someone who isn't retarded.  No idea.

Hrmmm advice....  Hope they don't ask anything you don't know ;p.

I would imagine they won't expect you to know it if you told them that you don't know it.

I find it strange that they would want you though knowing that you have no experience in the fields they want you to have experience in.

Maybe they switched your resume with someone elses, or maybe you're they're last hope?  Or maybe they just need someone who isn't retarded.  No idea.

Hrmmm advice....  Hope they don't ask anything you don't know ;p.

Well, I'm assuming I was chosen because Java/C++ is not miles away from C# and MySQL is not miles away from SQL Server.  I think I would be able to pick up the languages fairly quickly, given that many of the differences are syntactical in nature.  Then again, WTF do I know.  If they just need someone who isn't retarded, I should do great!  (I think  :D )  Wish me luck.

don't worry man, employers always tend to exaggerate with the skills needed when they put up ads. i'm sure you won't need half what's mentioned there. and in interview emphasize things you're experienced in, not the ones you aren't familiar with. good luck, you'll do fine.

Any decent CS degree shouldn't just have taught you language x,y and z. It should be more about the language-independent skills and underlying knowledge that mean you are capable of picking up a new language very quickly. Programming languages come in and out of fashion so any degree that focuses too heavily on those which are popular at the moment will inevitably have graduates who cannot cope 3,5 or 10 years down the line when the technology changes.

Any decent employer will also know this and will recognise that just because you're not experienced with language x you can probably learn to use it quite quickly.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.