Problems sending email on local machine (SMTP)

simm

Hi all...I'm new here - don't know if this is the right place for my question.

I get a 503 SMTP error when I try to send an email from a simple form on my local Vista machine.  I've tried an email address from my own domain, gmail, hotmail, and yahoo.

Here's the error:

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. k14sm6838908waf.23

What's the deal?  I'm going through a PHP book, and it doesn't cover any error troubleshooting.  I've tried everything it seems - from IIS settings to SMTP settings on my local machine to the PHP.ini.

Thanks so much.

Are you using a local mail server?

Yes, I believe so.

The php openssl extension must be enabled/installed for php to be able to connect to a mail server using TLS/SSL.

I tried enabling openssl, but it's still not working.

Thank you for your replies...please keep asking questions, as I'm very new to PHP and I don't know a ton about it...  :-[

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.