RedHat Linux Upgrade Help

NoSalt

Hello All

I have a copy of RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 (Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 4 (Nahant Update 4) - 2.6.9-42.EL kernel) from when I went to RHCT training several years ago. I have been able to moderately upgrade the system over the years but now I am stuck. Particularly I would like to upgrade PHP and MySQL to v5 but I am somewhat confused as to what to download. I attempted to download and install PHP 5 from source, but I received the following warning:

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

|                        *** WARNING ***                            |

|                                                                    |

| You will be compiling the CGI version of PHP without any          |

| redirection checking.  By putting this cgi binary somewhere in    |

| your web space, users may be able to circumvent existing .htaccess |

| security by loading files directly through the parser.  See        |

| http://www.php.net/manual/security.php for more details.          |

| License:                                                          |

| This software is subject to the PHP License, available in this    |

| distribution in the file LICENSE.  By continuing this installation |

| process, you are bound by the terms of this license agreement.    |

| If you do not agree with the terms of this license, you must abort |

| the installation process at this point.                            |

Thinking about it (out of security concerns), I would rather use an RPM to upgrade PHP and MySQL but I always have difficulty locating the correct RPM for RHEL 4. There seem to be many for Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. but not many for RHEL. Actually, I have always been a little cloudy on which RPMs were correct for RHEL.

So, my question is this. Can you help me with some tips and advice on the best (and hopefully easiest) way to upgrade my server that results in the best security in the long run?

Thank you very much for reading. Have a good day.  :)

Do you not have support with your license of RHEL?

A quick google led to:

http://openconcept.ca/upgrading_php_and_mysql_on_red_hat_enterprise_edition

Quote from above website:

"Enterprise installs of Linux promise well-supported and rock-solid combinations of software packages.The problem with upgrading the software on an Enterprise install is that the built-in program management system only lets you upgrade and install the limited selection of packages and versions that make up that particular distro."

Once you install/upgrade php and mysql and go a non RHEL route, the onus is on you to keep it patched with security updates.

-steve

This is the nature of RHEL ... they lag far behind current releases with their packages.  If you want anything nearing current PHP, Apache and MySQL releases, you need to use 3rd party package repo's.  The ones you will need are the EPEL repo and the Remi repo.  Google them both and do some reading about how to get the packages from their repos, and how to use up2date with them.  Remi is french, so make sure you find the links to the English version of his instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

no support means no updates for you. RHEL does'nt use use yum or apt but i think u can still upgrade your system via centos repo all u need to do is to install yum and put some repo from centos. thats what i did when i was preparing for my RHCE exam and got the redhat cds :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.