Slightly confused about error page...

jackpf

Hi all,

I've never had this error page before, but I've had it a couple of times now, all within this past week.

It's a 501 Method Not Implemented error page. Now, I did some googleing, and found that this occurs if the http request is either not a get, post, head etc...

But this is my error page:

Method Not Implemented

GET to /index.php not supported.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.9 Server at www.jackpf.co.uk Port 80

It says GET is not supported, when GET obviously is supported. What's wrong with this? I do have fairly long query strings...but surely that shouldn't invoke this? Is this something to do with my server, or my programming?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jack.

Idk, sorry - I'm on shared hosting; I don't think I have access to my httpd.conf...I had a look around my cpanel but I couldn't find anything...

So are you suggesting it's something to do with my server/apache?

Thanks for the reply,

Jack.

Well, the whole "method not implemented" thing doesn't make much sense since GET is supported by default on Apache.

Do you have anything weird in an htacess file?

Also, have you always gotten this error, or did it start suddenly?  If it just started, can you think of any changes that may have caused it?

I was wondering how GET isn't a supported method as it obviously is.

Well, my .htaccess basically just turns off magic quotes and has a few rewrites, but I haven't changed it for ages so I don't think it can be that.

I've noticed that the error only occurs when the user is redirected to the login page after attempting to access a restricted page.

But it's only like once in a million, which is why i'm so confused. If it happened every time, I'd know something was wrong, but it's so random, it doesn't make sense.

One thing I do is that when the user is redirected to the login page, it includes their current location in the query string, so I can prompt them with a "continue" link. To avoid the query string of their current location being confused with the actual query string, I replace ? with ! and & with |

Could this be a problem? I have also been doing this for ages and it's never resulted in an error before...

Thanks for your help,

Jack.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.