insert into....help please

nishmgopal

Hi guys,

I want to insert a new record into a table, but the data is going into different tables, is this possible?

basically, I have a job table and this has Job Name and Job ID, then i have Skill Table, this is skill name and skill id and finally a table which brings these together, Main Table, this has the job ID, Skill ID and a particular weight for each skill.

The Job ID and SKill ID are automatically created.

what would my sql query look like if i wanted to insert:

a job name with skill 1, skill 2 and skill 3 and skill 1 weight=2, skill 2 weight=3 and skill 3 weight=4

Job name would go into Job table, Skill 1, 2 and 3 would go into skill table and then the Job ID, Skill ID and Weight would go into Main table.

My first thoughts are that i need more than one query

I wasnt aware of the mysql_insert_id function, so i can use this to get the last inserted ID and then insert this id into a different table?

Sure.

For example:  If you enter a Job ID into your JOB table then you can get that unique auto-incremented id with mysql_insert_id so when you go to insert into the SKILL table you can match that Job id. 

Hope this helps.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.