Portfolio

Ashoar

I would like some comments and critique on my freelance portfolio.

I would like to first say that i have tried to have a simple design with an easy to navigation so that anyone can use it without any problems.

www.asilentdivine.com

Thank you.

Okay my apologies in advance for coming across like a complete ass, but there is a lot you can improve!

I assume you want to leave a good impression since it's your portfolio so I'm not going to sugarcoat anything and put it as it is.

It doesn't look too good on 1920*1200 in Firefox 3.

I'll just post a screenshot so you can see for yourself.

78edc831963710.gif

Bottom would look better if aligned to the bottom of the screen and the blue background image shouldn't be repeating.

The menus have lists of items.. but you're not using a list.

Try using

<ul>
  <li>Unique web design</li>
   <li>Premium quality</li>
</ul>

Leave the dashes out and style the list instead.

You also used tables for design instead of divs, bad practice.. tables are for tabular data, not for positioning fancy images.

You're using divs where you should be using other more semantic tags like <h1>.

You're using images with text on them without an alt text, ctrl+f'd the source code for "Jye Parington Freelance" but couldn't find it.

You're using an image to function as a <hr>, use a <hr> instead and style it to look like the image OR use the image as a background for the hr.

You're using regular text on your form instead of labels to described what the form element is for. Use <label for="nameOfFormElement">

Why is the bottom part a blockquote? Are you quoting your link structure and copyright?

Okay I'm done for the most part of my 'harsh critique'

You could use CSS for the mouseovers instead of javascript, that way it would still work for people who disable javascript.

I personally don't like the amount of space on the top between the link text and the arrow.. would like to see it a bit less spacious.

Portfolio is missing a background image pattern?

Contact doesn't line up with the blue bar.. it's floating a 15-20 pixels below it.

Tips:

I suggest you google for "semantic web" to sort the things like the blockquote at the bottom.

Googling for tables vs divs might be a good idea as well

Never forget to set background-repeat: no-repeat; when you're using a background on an element who's dimensions aren't set and you only want the image to appear once.

The positive

I do like the design, bit graphical heavy but it looks good, I like the color use and you kept the contrast quite high everywhere which is good for colorblind people and designers seem to forget about those lately, using grey on black etc.

-Titles seem to have a bit too much margin underneath (Jye Parrinton, Web Design, Graphic Design), resulting in a ton of wasted space

On a related note, that title tiles... my screen resolution is 1600x1200...so I can see the repeated title clipping on the right hand edge of the screen. Not sure if this is intentionaly or not, but looks incorrect IMO.

The width / content placement of all three major elements (header, main content and footer), vary. As a result, there is no formation of any 'grid' which makes scanning information easier on the eyes. I would consider not making the title tile, and have it centered, with adjusting the main content to match. Finally, I would shift the footer info inwards so that it is aligned with the right-hand content. As it is, it too disjointed IMO.

The site doesn't validate.

In the about section, I would probably make 'Contact Jye to see how he can enhance your ideas through web design' (the bold part into a link to the contact page, or a link that jumps to the bottom of the page where there is a contact form there. I would probably stick to one universal contact form, but that is subjective).

- You claim in your services that you optimize for search engine optimization. Yet I did not find stuff like <h1>, <h2>..etc tags in your code. You also have no meta description tag. I would research up on SEO and implement what valid white-hat SEO techniques you into your site.

- I find it strange that these images are separate files: image set 1 / image set 2

I would merge these (thus eliminating an http request). The other thing with the nature of these panel designs is that they are not fleixable in height.. as a result, if you add more text, you risk having it stick out. You are as a result limited to what you can put in there.. I would make it so that those panels are dynamic height wise IMO.

- This image could be shortened. Don't need it to be that long to tile.

- You can shave some kilobytes off of images if you test your site through smushit.

Overall, I do like the look and feel. I like the colours and for the most part the patterns chosen (not too fond of the main content light grey pattern though.. feels too 'antique-ish'. Certainly a nice look overall...

I would like some comments and critique on my freelance portfolio.

I would like to first say that i have tried to have a simple design with an easy to navigation so that anyone can use it without any problems.

www.asilentdivine.com

Thank you.

You need to do something about the font under web design and graphic design, it doesn't match the rest of the site.  I would also change fonts for the main area.  It doesn't fit everything else.  Find a font similar to "Freelance Web and Graphic Design".

Also your banner repeats on high resolution, you need to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.