[SOLVED] Problems with count and if staements!

andrew_biggart

Ok basically what i am trying to do is for the my profile, manage my blog section of my site i only want users to be able to have a maximum of 3 blog entries at any one time. So i want to use a count command to check if they already have 3 entries and if so echo a message, but if they have less than 3 entries echo the add a new entry form.

This is as far as i have got but ive been trying so long i have confused myself so now i need some help please.

<?php

include("config_contact.php");
   $username=$_SESSION['myusername'];

// Retrieve data from database 
   $sql = "SELECT count(Blog_username) as blogcount FROM User_blogT WHERE Blog_user='$username' ";
   $result = mysql_query($sql);

$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);

if($row['blogcount'] != 3) {
   echo "You are only allowed to Have 3 entries to your blog at any one time. If you would like to update your blog please delete one of the older entries.";
   }
   else{
   echo"
   <form method='post' action='my_profile_blog_submit.php'>
   <table class='myprofile_blog'>
       <tr><td class='myprofile_subtext'>Subject :</td><td class='myprofile_blogsub'>
   <input name='Blog_subject' type='text' style='width: 413px' /></td></tr>
   <tr><td class='myprofile_subtext' style='width: 120px' valign='top'>Message :</td><td> <textarea name='Blog_message' style='width: 505px; height: 152px'></textarea></td></tr>
   </table>
   <br />
   <br />
   <br />
   <table>
   <tr><td class='myprofile_changesh'>Add a new entry to your Blog ...</td><td class='myprofile_changesh'> </td></tr>
   <tr><td class='myprofile_subsub'>Add another entry to your blog. Please delete the older entries that are outdated and try and get it to a limit of 3 or 4 entries.</td></tr>
   <tr><td colspan='2'></td></tr>
   </table>
   <br />
   <table class='myprofile_change'>
   <tr><td><input name='addblog' type='submit' value='Post that shit' /></td></tr>
   </table>
   </form>

";
   }
?>

$sql = "SELECT count(Blog_username) as blogcount FROM User_blogT WHERE Blog_user='$username' ";

if($result->numRows() > 3)

{

echo "You are only allowed to Have 3 entries to your blog at any one time. If you would like to update your blog please delete one of the older entries.";

}

else

{

}

did u echo $row['blogcount'] to see if ur getting the results u expect?  if you're not, you can either TS that or just run a SELECT SQL query and use mysql_num_rows() to count the number of results... i'd also use

if($row['blogcount'] >= 3) {

your failure echo statement executes EVERY time unelss the user has submitted 3 entries for that day.

Ok i have tried this method but its displaying nothing at all.

<?php

$sql = "SELECT count(Blog_username) as blogcount FROM User_blogT WHERE Blog_username='$username' ";
   if($result->numRows() > 3)
   { 	
   }
   else{
   echo"
   <tr><td class='myprofile_subtext' style='width: 120px' valign='top'>Message :</td><td> <textarea name='Blog_message' style='width: 505px; height: 152px'></textarea></td></tr>
   </table>
   <br />
   <br />
   <br />
   <table>
   <tr><td class='myprofile_changesh'>Add a new entry to your Blog ...</td><td class='myprofile_changesh'> </td></tr>
   <tr><td class='myprofile_subsub'>Add another entry to your blog. Please delete the older entries that are outdated and try and get it to a limit of 3 or 4 entries.</td></tr>
   </table>
   <br />
   <tr><td><input name='addblog' type='submit' value='Post that shit' /></td></tr>
   </table>
   </form>

";
   }
?>

and yes i have echo's the blogcount and it is reconsiing the amount of entries i have.

Ok ive got it showing up now, but when i added the third entry it still shows up ???

<br />
<?php

$sql = "SELECT count(Blog_username) as blogcount FROM User_blogT WHERE Blog_username='$username' ";
   }
   else{
   echo"
   </table>
   <br />
   <br />
   <br />
   <table>
   </table>
   <br />
   <tr><td><input class='submit_blog' name='addblog' type='submit' value='Post that shit' /></td></tr>
   </table>
   </form>

";
   }
?>

well the logic is simple, i don't know what to tell you except change ur code to see what your problem is when the conditional is firing when it's not supposed to be:

echo "rowcount:  $row[blogcount] <br>";
   }
   else{
echo "rowcount:  $row[blogcount] <br>";
   echo"

If i use this code it echo's that there is 3 blog entries for this user.

<?php

if($row['blogcount'] > 0) {
   	   echo "(" . $row['blogcount'] . ")";
	   }
	?>

But using this code the form just always shows up! can anyone see whats wrong?

<?php

if($row['blogcount'] > 3){ 	
   }
   else{
   echo"
   </table>
   <br />
   <br />
   <br />
   <table>
   </table>
   <br />
   <tr><td><input class='submit_blog' name='addblog' type='submit' value='Post that shit' /></td></tr>
   </table>
   </form>

";
   }
?>

This is the most recent code i am using btw!

<?php

}
   else{
   echo"
   </table>
   <br />
   <br />
   <br />
   <table>
   </table>
   <br />
   </table>
   </form>

";
   }
?>

<?php

Ok so now its just echoing the blog full status even when i only have 2 entries in my blog!!

<?php

if($row['blogcount'] = 3) {
  }

else{
   echo"
   </table>
   <br />
   <br />
   <br />
   <table>
   </table>
   <br />
   </table>
   </form>

";
   }

?>

Each time you post code you revert or change something completely.

I do not know where you are getting your logic but it seems as though you keep disregarding any changes made. This is my last attempt to help.

<?php

$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result); // You have to have this for it to even work at all.
     //     if($row['blogcount'] = 3) { // Single equals always amounts to true:
    if ($row['blogcount'] == 3) {  // the double euqal is the comparison and should be used instead.
     }

else{
      echo"
      </table>
      <br />
      <br />
      <br />
      <table>
      </table>
      <br />
      </table>
      </form>

";
      }

?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.